Prestage assignment

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I just wanted to know one thing that I created prestage enrollment configuration in my Jamf console, I can see serial number of my organization's device is populating here but it is not marked as checked, so what is the significance being marked as checked and not checked in my prestage enrollment? 

If not checked and if I turn on the device then device will be enrolled in Jamf or not? 

If I mark it checked then turn on the device what will happen to notice with another one which is not marked as checked?

Please explain me in details.

11 REPLIES 11

jwbeatty
New Contributor II

Hello Asifahmed - When viewing the scope for a prestage enrollment group, if the device is not checked it is not assigned to a prestage group. Devices with a check mark in the box are assigned to the group you are viewing.

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Thanks for clarification

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Asifahmed Only checked devices in a PreStage will be enrolled automatically. One of the settings in a PreStage is "Automatically assign new devices" which would be appropriate to set for your primary/production PreStage. You will need to un-check a device in any PreStage it's currently active in before you'll see it listed as a device that can be enabled in another PreStage.

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

So you want to mean if I mark checked for more than one prestage configuration then it will create an issue in enrollment?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Asifahmed It is not possible to have a Mac enabled for more than one PreStage

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

When viewing the scope of a PreStage, you will only see computers assigned to that prestage (checked) or unassigned computers (not checked.) You will not see any computers assigned to another prestage. 

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Thanks , I got your point.

marksf
New Contributor II

Hi Asifahmed, 

To put this in context - you may have more than one PreStage Configuration. 
For example:

1. PreStage with Jamf Connect and some PreStage Packages (e.g. for workstations)
  2. PreStage without Jamf Connect and different packages (e.g. for laptops)

Then you can use the checkboxes to determine which PreStage configuration will be used when the machines are first started up.

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Make sense to me now.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yep. We have multiple Prestage enrollments and can move devices from one to the other, but as stated above, a device cannot be assigned in more than one Prestage at a time. You first must uncheck it, save the change, then give it around 5 or so minutes to allow the sync to occur between Jamf and Apple. Once the Mac shows up as Unassigned, then it can be re-assigned to another Prestage enrollment.

Also as mentioned, it would be a good idea in your Jamf server to set your main Prestage as the default one for any new Macs syncing in from ABM. Otherwise they will show up as available, but not be assigned to anything and won't auto enroll.

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Thanks