PreStage enrollment problem ?

marcello_martin
New Contributor II

Hi,
Since last friday we had an issue with Dep connection to the deploy.apple.com site. At the same time there was one laptop that belonged to the scope of Dep for testing didn't startup anymore and was only showing an folder icon with an question mark in it ? because it wasn't starting up anymore we try to restore it but also that wasn't working and was hanging for 3 hours at 5%. This morning the “The DEP service reported an error. (https://mdmenrollment.apple.com [403])” was gone and after we restarted the laptop again it was working again ?
Is it possible that this computer, enrolled with the Prestage Enrollment didn't startup anymore because of the problem Jamf had connecting to Deploy.apple.com ?

8 REPLIES 8

Asnyder
Contributor III

Log in to deploy.apple.com to check if there are new Terms of service to agree to. That will break the connection between the jss and their site.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@marcello.martinez The Mac only attempts to talks to Apple’s DEP server during the beginning of the Setup assistant right after choosing the language when you are setting up the machine.

If you were seeing a folder icon and then restoring an OS to the drive is hanging then it sounds like you have a bad hard drive.

anickless
Contributor II

I agree with @chriscollins DEP and Prestage doesn't effect the OS on the laptop. If the connection is broken then it should boot up like it was for home use.

Think of DEP and Prestage as a way to do configuration on the laptop without you touching the laptop. The OS is already installed but DEP and Prestage configuration does the some/most of the setup as the OS boots up the first time.

You might have a DOA hard drive.

marcello_martin
New Contributor II

@chriscollins @anickless
Thanks for the expianation. Im new to JAMF so i will take all the knowledge i can get....

kstrick
Contributor III

We are getting sporadic failures with https://mdmenrollment.apple.com failing...
been working with jamf on it and our network guys, not luck so far...
been working great for me today, but then i have one machine that get's the dep message, and then the pre-stage fails... (unmanaged, incomplete computer record)

jconte
Contributor II

Hi @kstrick was this issue ever resolved, I am experiencing the same issue. We are just getting started with DEP so I am not completely familiar yet. Thanks

kstrick
Contributor III

@jconte yeah, we have overcome that series of DEP issues. I believe it was primarily network latency/timeout issues in the end causing most of our problem, mixed with a firewall misconfiguration.

marcello_martin
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone for the comments.
As it turns out the issue was not with DEP but with the hardware of the Macbook.