Prestage Enrollment Variables

bvondeylen
Contributor II

Are there variables that will work in PreStage Enrollments for Mobile Devices?

I was hoping I could add

$ASSET_TAG to the Prefix or Suffix fields in the PreStage Enrollment > Mobile Device Names, but it isn't working. Instead I get a name with $ASSET_TAG. Not helpful.

I do have the Asset_Tag field populated.

4 REPLIES 4

smithjw
New Contributor III

I don't believe that variables work in PreStages, but they do in iOS config profiles. Eg, you're able to use $email in a config profile to add a Gmail account. This will then prompt the user to enter their password when the device is set up.

If possible I'd love to see this functionality to Pre Stages

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I could see the benefit if the JSS had that variable populated in it elsewhere, but most of the time with a prestage it doesn't. I'll vote up, but in the meantime, can I point you to the JSS MUT tool? JSS MUT

This tool lets you import things nicely using API calls and a spreadsheet. The Jamf that created this is a good an helpful guy who develops it on the side. This is how we got our tags imported if it helps.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

I use the JSS MUT to do batch importing (although I am exploring FileMaker Pro to replace the JSS MUT).

I would like the variables in the Pre-Stage so whenever I erase an iPad, the name gets put back in. I don't want to use the JSS MUT to change the name of 1 iPad. I would rather have it part of the PreStage since the information does already exist.

scarey
New Contributor II

We name the iPads after the user which Jamf knows as we require credentials for enrollment. Could easily set the device name with a variable in our case but as already stated, variables don't work in PreStage.