Prestage skips local user creation after upgrade 10.27

fabianhartmann
New Contributor II

We experienced strange behaviour after upgrading to 10.27.
Our Prestage environment is set to "Create a local administrator account before the Setup Assistant" and "Local User Account Type" is set to Administrator Account.
This worker reliable and users were able to create a local admin account.

After our Jamf Cloud instance was migrated to 10.27, the create local account pane was skipped during Setup Assistant (using 11.1, 11.2) and users were not able to create a local account.

This issue was consistent for every new enrollment. After modifying the PSE by unticking "Create a local administrator account before the Setup Assistant" click save, ticking "Create a local administrator account before the Setup Assistant" again solved the issue.

Everyone else experiencing this issue?

27 REPLIES 27

marc_langevin
New Contributor

Yeah. I am opening a case at JAMF about this issue. I have the exact same issue. When I remove all the Configuration Profiles from the prestage, I get the user account creation but as soon as I add a Config Profile, it skips the account creation and brings me the Admin account login page.

jchen1225
New Contributor III

Yes we are seeing this in 10.28 as well...

david_harman
New Contributor

We are having the issue and the local account create process on our jamf cloud instance appears to have been changed in the prestage enrollment.

We are currently unable to build any computers successfully and I've started opening a ticket for this issue.

bccrates
New Contributor

Yes, we experienced this issue as well. The Jamf support person said the culprit is probably a specific configuration profile in prestage enrollment. However, we just removed all configuration profiles from prestage enrollment and that solved the problem.

jchen1225
New Contributor III

@bcampbellcraven, I was told the same thing. I still get the same error after I unchecked all configurations in prestage.

Correction: Removing the profiles in prestage might have worked. My error might be caused by another machine instance in Jamf Pro. I deleted all instances before automatic enrollment and so far so good.

summoner2100
Contributor

Dang it, I just hit this issue with my prestage on 10.27 as well... Although, I have no config profiles in my prestage. It's not until later it gets them :

summoner2100
Contributor

Ok, I got past this. Interestingly, I had no profiles in the prestage. But I got it to prompt for the user setup by using a smart group to exempt any configuration profiles that was scoped to the likes of new ones. So, it appears as though ANY config profiles scoped to a machine currently will knock past the user setup. *sigh.

ianatkinson
Contributor

I'm seeing this as well with big sur machines on 10.28 (on premises), no config profiles in pre-stage and untick/reticking to make the local account hasn't fixed it. I do have lots of profiles which are scopes to all computers so it will be getting some once it joins the server.

I will try an upgrade to 10.29 tomorrow to see if that helps.

yungstump
New Contributor II

even with 10.29 and no config profiles scoped - the issue is the same.

eugen
New Contributor

Any update on this please? we are facing the same issue.

Garci4
New Contributor III

this SUCKS

Louie
New Contributor III

Anyone find a solution to this?

ianatkinson
Contributor

Still broken for us though I haven't updated to 10.30 yet I don't know if that fixed it?

I've had to write an extra bit of code to create the missing user if it's not there. It's a naff OOB experience though without the login step as my instructions for the first line guys is now 'just leave it until it reboots' and it looks like it's doing nothing for an hour while all the stuff gets installed. It was better for them when they could see the DEPNotify screen and some progress.

Garci4
New Contributor III

What are everyones 100% reliable fixes for this?

Just had two users (M1s) with the issue repeating after a wipe & re-install. My guess is that possibly deleting the Volume group isn't doing it and they need to be wiping the SSD itself?

@summoner2100's fix But I got it to prompt for the user setup by using a smart group to exempt any configuration profiles that was scoped to the likes of new ones. Is this something you can do once a devices has already gotten in that state? Just trying to avoid having some users attempt to wipe & re-install a 3rd time

Louie
New Contributor III

uncheck the Transfer Information pane in the prestage, this is working for us, I'll update after we have several successful enrollments

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/38791/intel-macbook-pros-not-creating-new-user-accounts

Louie
New Contributor III

Everything is still working after I made this change, I have an open ticket with jamf as well.

richard_wadswor
New Contributor II

As per @Louie suggestion.  Unchecking the Transfer Information pane in the prestage "fixed" the issue.

Garci4
New Contributor III

Given how Migration Assistant/Time Machine breaks MDM, I wouldn't considered unchecking the Transfer Information as a fix...

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Still seeing the same issue with on-prem Jamf Pro 10.30.3 and Big Sur 11.5.2.
It seems to be know by Apple too:
Big Sur laptops skipping account creation during D... - Jamf Nation Community - 236919

Does anyone have news to this?

ianatkinson
Contributor

I gave up waiting for this to be fixed as we're nearly at the start of the new term and I needed to get on with setups. Instead of creating our admin account manually I'm making it using jamf instead:

jamf createAccount -username admin -realname admin -password $studpwd -home /Users/admin -shell "/bin/zsh" -secureSSH -admin

Then instead of using DEPNotify to tell people it's setting up I've had to resort to setting the login window text which isn't very informative.

At least it's zero touch now apart from M1 stuff which seems to fail to skip the setup screens anyway, not sure what's different about those 😞 

summoner2100
Contributor

Random thought, does everyone else have "Auto advance" on in the prestage for Big Sur machines?  I put this down to profiles scoping, because when I unscoped it started working fine. But I wonder if it's a bug in Auto Advance that's causing it to push past the login screen; which would make sense to me. (unless you guys don't have it ticked, then there goes that theory. haha)

No, sorry, we do not use "Auto advance" and are experiencing this issue

ahh bugger.  oh well, shoot that theory. lol 

Garci4
New Contributor III

thought we were past this but just saw this again today....

SteFel
New Contributor

Hey, the same here on 12.2 and Jamf-Cloud. I'll try to uncheck the Transfer Information pane. 

corbin2550
New Contributor

Have had this issue on and off over the course of the last year. I've tried everything suggested above and it's still not consistent. 

After reinstalling, it will sit at the MDM Enrollment page and enroll itself unprompted and move itself all the way to the Login Screen with no option to log in presented. No users exist on the machine and I'm forced to wipe the laptop again. 

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, in the case that it doesn't work I delete the computer profile after the wipe. Then it always works.