Printers

technicholas
Contributor

Hello,

We are having issues with Printers with them getting paused, they come into our tech office and we need to enter a password to get them resumed what is going on?

I would like to have the persons name to the bottom of the sheet of paper to know who printed what.

2 REPLIES 2

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

You can edit the cups file to allow users to unpause print jobs themselves without being print administrators (lpadmin)- this thread may help you

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3864095?start=0&tstart=0

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Technicholas;
CasperSally is right, you will have to edit the cups file. had this issue with Leopard. did the name at the bottom of the page thing through WGM, but was still another problem when the students handed their work in. I am now using the following script with the cups edit. I cron it for every 15 mins ( yeah I know launchctl-but im old school), and it emails the lab tech if a printer was reset.:

#!/bin/bash

scutil --get LocalHostName > paused.txt
lpstat -p | awk '{print $2}'| while read printer do if sudo lpstat -p | grep disabled > /dev/null; then cancel -a- cupsdisable $printer sleep 2 cupsenable $printer sleep 2 echo $printer >> paused.txt else

exit fi
done

hth

LSin NY