Printing on a ad bound mac

WBS
New Contributor III

What do you use to print from a mac? I am trying to decide to redo our print server and am unsure of the best way to print from a mac. We currently have print servers at each location however it mostly works for windows and not at all for mac so most of our macs(most of our district is mac) we just type in the ip of the printer. I am looking at using a print server or google cloud print or using jamf config profile . Our jss just have all of the computers in it but not in any grouping by campus so i would have to gather all the macs in an inventory to even use config profile. Is there a way to filter computers by ip? so i could create a group by whatever the ip is at the time?

8 REPLIES 8

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@WBS - I personally display all printers in Self Service and then limit them to Network Segments (Which are linked to Buildings) and that way when the users inventory updates their Self Service would only show printers relevant to them in that site. Package the Printer Mapping and Printer Drivers in one policy Scope it to All Computer and limit to the building or network segments you wish to.

Alternatively you can look at a managed print solution like Papercut

WBS
New Contributor III

@Sachin_Parmar How detailed do you get when you do that? I just tried it and it got some of the computers needed but ours is only set up per the building no more detailed then that.

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@WBS -

So i configured my network segments first...

9d3bd7e790fd43d4af5c54c09387a0a3

Within the network segment specify any machines that meet the IP range fall into this building.

1f249fa9e2ff4181b91e8eb69cf570ba

Then, make your Printer policy... i.e.

56c469c9ad6b47a0854f07666f6da6e0

029e1df76fac4ea8a353e0aa456d83f6

48d9f4dadde94901a500183b7078fd5d

Scope is set to All Computers...

3f2b4a1d1abe4069a79797acbbe55081

Limitations are limited to Network Segment

3f0f555473554b97b39bd9db5f81e4a9

When a user is in that IP range, and Casper knows about it, Self Service will update and show you printers.

WBS
New Contributor III

How often does it refresh the building i went through and alot of my computers are in wrong groups. However the segments shows its set to override but it must not be working right.

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@WBS - When it does a recon/update inventory

WBS
New Contributor III

I just looked at one that checked in 20 mins ago and update 25 and it still shows wrong location even though it has the correct IP to pick up the correct building. Any idea why? @Sachin_Parmar

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@WBS - Could it be pushing that from LDAP? Any of your other network segments cross-over with the IP range you have configured?

WBS
New Contributor III

Cant be any overlaps all of ours start with 172.16. ,172.18. or 172.20. for the locations the ldap i am not sure those arent even right alot of the ones that show up in 172.20. are teachers at 172.18.*