Problem Adding Pair of Macs to JSS (Recon Error/Failure)

not1984
New Contributor

I am having trouble running Recon on a couple of Macs. I originally tried to add a group of about 2 dozen Macs using Network Scanner and they all went cleanly except this pair. They are in the same subnet as others that added fine, with the same local admin account.

After running Network Scanner, I realized they hadn't shown up in Inventory so I ran Remote Inventory from Recon. This is the error message I would get:

RECON FAILED DURING THE SUBMIT PROCESS. RECON FAILED.

It would appear right after the "Running Recon" and "Waiting…" portion of the progress bar, about a quarter into the install.

I tried creating a new local admin account and using that but it made no difference.

I then tried running QuickAdd locally on the boxes and would get this error:

THERE WERE ERRORS INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE. PLEASE TRY INSTALLING AGAIN.

I got the same results using a freshly made QuickAdd package.

One interesting note here is that that after I hit Continue in the QuickAdd I'm given an "Upgrade" button rather than an install button. This happens on both the Macs even though neither ever had the Casper client installed. I'm assuming the first time I attempted to run the package it didn't say "Upgrade" and it now says it because there's a fragment of an install there, but this is purely my own speculation. It may be residual from the Remote Inventory, even, since I tried to run that before the local QuickAdd package.

I have Safe Booted the Macs and cleared out all caches but it hasn't made a different.

One important note: all the other Macs that added fine were Intel-based and running Mac OS X 10.6. Both of these are old PowerPC G5s I've got left over and are running 10.4. I feel like this has to be more than a coincidence.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

1 REPLY 1

talkingmoose

Sounds like the JSS is rejecting your submissions. Search your JSS for the MAC addresses of each machine. Is it showing duplicates?