Pushed Apps Issue

Malcolm
Contributor II

I have just implemented pushed apps for students. however, if it is a new ipad, the apps are getting pushed, when there is no itunes account details set.

If the user doesn't have an existing ID, they are tricked into making a itunes account (due to the constant push app requests for a itunes account), which requires the use of a credit card- where as, creating a icloud first, a credit card is not required.

Is there a way to exclude users without a itunes account configured from receiving the pushed apps? e.g. if the user is not vpp enrolled? and doesn't have a itunes account configured?

6 REPLIES 6

Malcolm
Contributor II

The down side to this is, parents or my self have to cancel 20 times, before they can put account details in, and then cause the pushed app has failed, it doesn't appear to come back.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

To make a free Apple ID account (no creditcard) you need to (while signed out of itunes) click get on a free app, and then create a new Apple ID from there.

Most institutions will create the Apple ID for the user and then allow them to log in with that.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Sadly I don't have the time to build 300 apple ID's a year. But that is handy to know, cause you can only use a credit card to make an apple ID so many times, and you can only use icloud account on an ipad about 5 times before you can no longer make one.

It looks like there is a device group Itunes store account Active or Inactive, so I can exclude iPads from groups if the itunes account is inactive... I will give it a try and see how it behaves.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Malcolm These links may prove useful in not having time to create the Apple IDs
https://github.com/garrya100/Apple-ID-Creator-Universal
https://github.com/ntoqiakt/AppleID-Verification-AppleScirpt

Malcolm
Contributor II

Thanks @Simmo I wasn't aware there was a working version of this, I went looking for one early 2014... but I was told Apple had a firewall process preventing mass account creation from a single IP.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Malcolm Indeed they do, you need to email your local Apple area manager and have them request a whitelist of your IP, it lasts for a month.