Putting the name on the lock screen of an iPad

jerforceone
New Contributor

Aside from using apple configurator to place the device name on the lock screen, is there a way to do it remotely? I've found that I can add a Lock Screen Message through configuration profiles, but it looks like it would be the same message on all iPads. I'm trying to find a way to send a remote command either via Configuration Profile or some other method to get the device name to display on the lock screen. Anyone know if that's possible, and how?

#!/bin/sh
7 REPLIES 7

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@jerforceone You can do this through a Configuration Profile and the Lock Screen Message payload. you can use $VARIABLES in the text which is then populated from Jamf Pro

699125c76e684291a5ffa7a3735a95d3

See the docs for the available variables

https://docs.jamf.com/10.25.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Mobile_Device_Configuration_Profiles.html

jwscarsdale
New Contributor III

The only issue is ..IF the device name changes you need to remove the profile and re-add it in order to update the lock screen.
I wish there was a way to have JAMF auto trigger this .

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@jwscarsdale True! but if you lock the ability of changing names and using a prefix-serialnumber for instance it should be good.

jwscarsdale
New Contributor III

I mean't more of a scenario where a device gets re-assigned to a new user, and it named accordingly. Also have this issue with the filtering software we use (lightspeed relay).. if the user of the device changes, you need to remove the profile and re-add it.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

It does not happen often but when it does we put the device into lock mode "manually" as an action, then create a smart group (clone a template) of device serial number and last check in 1 day and check to email.

How would I use this device profile?
Create the profile, fill in the info and then assign to a static group of devices lost?
Thanks.

jerforceone
New Contributor

Awesome, that $DEVICENAME thing worked like a charm! Thanks again!!!

Harkin
New Contributor

Seems to take a long time to push out to the device. I am using the configuration profile in a prestage enrollment. The device name doesn't change quickly, sometimes it can take up to 15 minutes or not all.  The default is "iPad" and that name stays at the bottom of the Lock Screen for a very long time.  Just spoke to tech apparently you have "Distribute to All" each time.  Must be a minor bug.