"brand" my JSS

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I saw during one of the demo's at JNUC this year someone had added custom logo's to their JSS icons (not necessarily self service). Was that something they did manually or is there a way to brand my JSS that I'm unaware of?

18 REPLIES 18

hkabik
Valued Contributor

It's all manually done, but it's really easy to do.

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/branding-self-service-for-your-organization/

Chuey
Contributor III

This is what I've referred to:

http://www.modtitan.com/2014/03/branding-self-service-part-one.html

From my understanding this is all a manual process and when you upgrade your JSS, it'll all be over written so you'd have to script something out to replace the files you change or just do it manually each upgrade.

brandonusher
Contributor II

@emilykausalik did a presentation on this at JNUC 2014. Here is the session video and her article is here

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

ears burning

Hi y'all, I do have a post specifically on branding the JSS here: http://www.modtitan.com/2014/10/branding-jss.html

brandonusher
Contributor II

whoopsie, missed that post :/

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

If you keep copies of the images stored locally on your server, it'd be pretty easy to just script a replacement of the files (with a permissions check too) and make it a one-click thing. I just drag-and-drop because honestly it takes like a minute and I don't mind doing it. :)

reelmike
New Contributor II

@emilykausalik your tutorials were incredibly valuable! I scoured your tutorials prior to coming on with a hosted instance of Casper Suite in the spring, and knowing that I could really dig in and customize the SS presentation to our users was a BIG sell. Since we're hosted, I only brand our dock icon, and using sheacraig's "yo" notifications system, I've managed to put together a killer 1-2 combo for a branded management system. Just wanted to take the opportunity to send kuddos!

danielc29
New Contributor III

I think this information is GREAT!! But does anyone have info on doing this on a JSS that's running on a Linux host?

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@danielc29 the information in the above posts is exactly the same no matter what platform you are on since the tomcat webapp is the same on every platform. Just copy the resources into the same folders. the only thing that would be different would be the initial path to the webapps folder. On linux it would most likely be in /usr/local/jss/tomcat/webapp/ROOT/ But everything inside the webapp folder is going to be the same no matter what you are running the JSS on.

danielc29
New Contributor III

Awesome thanks Chris

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am looking forward to official built-in support for branding the JSS (CEO mentioned it in the keynote), as when you deploy SS manually, the newer notification features such as dock icon notifications and "new policy" notifications do not work.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I asked my TAM when I met him on Thursday at the JNUC to put me on a short list to test "Self Service Plus" when it becomes available for testing. He called me yesterday to say no one he asked at the office knew what it was, and wanted to know where I heard about that from.

So… don't hold your breath on Self Service Plus being something that comes out any time soon… it seems to be in the "idea" stage only.

millersc
Valued Contributor
He called me yesterday to say no one he asked at the office knew what it was, and wanted to know where I heard about that from.

This is a recurring problem I see JAMF having when I work with them. Communication is critical. I can never stress that enough.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@emilykausalik wasn't Self Service Plus referenced on one of the slides that the new JAMF CEO showed? I vaguely remember seeing a reference to Self Service Plus as well and I though it was in his presentation. Seems strange that the JAMF TAMs don't know about this. I find it hard to believe that we both were dreaming up the name Self Service Plus.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

It was! Which is why the voicemail that I got was so entertaining.

john_miller
Contributor

Hey all!

I can give some clarity here. As @deanhager mentioned during the JNUC '15 keynote, we will begin to make changes to Self Service soon. We haven't been referring to it as "Self Service Plus" which could have caused some of the confusion with folks internally.

The priorities that we're focusing on have some new functionality, but are first focusing on some usability improvements. The ability to brand things like color, logo, and app name are certainly in the list of things we're looking to add as well as having those stick between version upgrades. We got some great feedback from a Focus Group we did specifically around Self Service, as well as things like this: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=490

Thanks for your patience with this functionality. We know we've got work to do here and are working to make some great changes that I think you're really going to like.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

be0345693d49418d9931d55e8570981c

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Very happy to hear that Self Service will be getting some needed love! Its in need of a refresh and some new features to keep it interesting and as useful as possible.
Thanks for the information John!