"Casper Suite" 9.101.4 application versions...umm...

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We just upgraded JSS Jamf Pro to 9.101.4.

We have a policy that replaces existing versions of the tools, whether they're in the default location, or whether they were moved and/or renamed.

Kind'a hard(er) to do if CFBundleVersion and/or CFBundleShortVersionString is, well...

bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Admin.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Admin.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Imaging.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Imaging.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Remote.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Remote.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString  
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Composer.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
9.101.4-t1507816971
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Composer.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Recon.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
9.101.4-t1507816971
bash-3.2# defaults read /Applications/Casper Suite/Recon.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString

db14a3f69ea04dadad398ec0229d3d50

08a65379ba5e4f5fbd77e8c76b1e05c3

Just kidding...we have our own EAs, to avoid getting burned by this kind of stuff. ;)

Although I'm tempted to whip out vi to fix those pesky Info.plist files (but not going there).

Opening a ticket now, hope we don't get "Ain't gonna be fixed, move to 10" (which is not an option yet).

¯_(ツ)_/¯

--
https://donmontalvo.com
6 REPLIES 6

strider_knh
Contributor II

We had an issue for over a year where Casper Remote would 'Fail' on every computer. However, if you checked the logs it was showing that everything was actually completed.

The issue was that since we are cloud hosted our JSS version was like 9.98.######. This did not match the Casper Remote version of 9.98 so every time you used it, Casper Remote would re-install the binary since it did not think the station was on the latest version. While this was annoying I could live with it except that it would also mark all of these as 'Failed' because it has to install the binary... what??

After a year they finally fixed tis by releasing a version of the Casper Tools that matched our JSS version. My associate and I thought of multiple better ways of fixing this that they could have done quickly. I had entered half a dozen ticket by the time they released their solution.

Hope they come back with a fix for your faster.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

With a lot of developers (including Adobe, Microsoft, etc.), whether the correct version info is in CFBundleVersion or CFBundleShortVersionString is a crap shoot.

This is why "Patch" is off the table (for us), until we have the ability to control where the version is pulled from.

60c28753dd5241ffb4ccc2938b0fbd19

We are seeing "(null)" in the hide/quit menu. But the apps work. Guessing Jamf's dev team jumped the gun on release? Pinged our Jamf buddy.

--

kstrick
Contributor III

We had the same issue as @strider.knh , the trick (which i believe we got from jamf support) was to change the cfbundle attributes with the defaults command on the applications, then distribute those versions to our systems....
I suspect that same fix would also resolve this issue

for example:

defaults write /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Admin.app/Contents/Info CFBundleVersion 9.101.4
chmod 644 /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Admin.app/Contents/Info.plist

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Ahh....no wonder...

6df43a0d74da4089bfa08849367c8924

859244916b2c475f936c4300a512b050

--

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@kstrick definitely works, although not sure if it'll make it harder to troubleshoot and replace if/when Jamf releases the final release of the 9.101.4 tools...assuming it was a mistake. Also not sure how changing Info.plist would pan out if/when the apps end up getting signed by Jamf?

--

kstrick
Contributor III

@donmontalvo agreed, Don, it might not be worth the time... I had only done it in the past because i ran into the same issue as @strider.knh . Odds are that there will be another small patch or two coming out for the 9 series, since a lot of us aren't going to be moving to 10 in prouction for a little bit.

Once you put a workaround in place, it often gets undone very quickly.