"Error encrypting disk" with Casper 8.6 and filevault2

roiegat
Contributor III

I upgraded one of our test servers to 8.6 today and wanted to test the filevault2 capabilities. So I got the white paper on it and created the master filevault with key and exported it from keychain. I uploaded it to Casper 8.6 and set up the Encryption Configuration following the white paper.

When I went to test it out using remote I got an error during the test that read:
"Error encrypting disk: Could not encrypt the disk because a required dependency was not found."

I've tried both individual and institutional, both user and manager - no combination seems to work. Has anyone got this to work yet?

7 REPLIES 7

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Does your test Mac have a working Recovery HD partition? That's required for FileVault 2 to work.

ike
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

This feature of the Casper Suite is only supported on Mountain Lion, not Lion. That may be what you are seeing here.

bentoms

Also, is it a RAID'd volume?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, if you're attempting this on a 10.7 client, it won't work. Apple added some under the hood tools to make this possible with Mountain Lion that are not there in Lino.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

I have have only tested individual and institutional and just individual, I was able to get them working... I didn't have to do anything special just be sure your Recovery HD partition is there.

Also the only way I could trigger the FDE is with a restart from the GUI, no CLI or casper restart enable the password box.

This article made me 100% smarter about how FV2 works in X.8 https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/using-fdesetup-with-mountain-lions-filevault-2/

roiegat
Contributor III

The machine doesn't have a recovery HD Partition. Any easy way to create one? I can blow the whole machine if needed since it's a test. But I know most of our machines don't have the recovery HD Partition.

So in thinking for the future, should I try to capture the recovery HD partition as an image and add it to our images?

rtrouton

You can build an installer package to install a Recovery HD partition. The procedure for Lion is posted here:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/creating-an-updated-recovery-hd/

This process should also work for Mountain Lion, but I haven't tested it yet.