"Full" Guest User script

Buraq
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a script to enable guest user on 10.13. I've found a couple of scripts that do that but with one problem, they all create the guest user that restarts the Mac and allow access to Safari only aka single-app mode. What I'm after is a guest user to log in to a normal screen where he/she can see the dock and open certain apps.

The main part of the scripts I tried is:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow GuestEnabled -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleFileServer guestAccess -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server AllowGuestAccess -bool true

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sshort
Valued Contributor

If you have FileVault enabled, that's expected behavior for the guest to restart to a Safari-only mode. There are some older threads in this forum for manually creating a "guest" user (that is really just a standard user account) and has various scripts to clear out user data at each log out. Otherwise, the only workaround is to disable FileVault to get the guest user behavior that you want.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sshort
Valued Contributor

If you have FileVault enabled, that's expected behavior for the guest to restart to a Safari-only mode. There are some older threads in this forum for manually creating a "guest" user (that is really just a standard user account) and has various scripts to clear out user data at each log out. Otherwise, the only workaround is to disable FileVault to get the guest user behavior that you want.

Buraq
New Contributor III

@sshort Thanks!