"Sign In" to iTunes & App Store Greyed Out

sedwards
Contributor

I've just recently started enrolling iPads via DEP into our newly setup and configured JSS. I've enabled a few restrictions in one of the configuration profiles I've deployed but I don't see any that restrict signing into iTunes & App Store. I'd like my users to be able to sign into their iPads with their Apple School Manager Apple IDs so they can install free apps via the App Store but both the "Sign In" and "Create New Applie ID" buttons are greyed out under the iTunes & Appe Store setting.

How/can this be done?

8 REPLIES 8

mmcallister
Contributor II

Did you select "Allow modifying account settings (supervised only)" in the Restrictions profile?

sedwards
Contributor

Yes, that setting is checked off in the restrictions in the configuration profile and it is not listed as a restriction under Device Management when looking at the settings on the iPad.

However, I do have all settings related to iCloud unchecked in the restrictions. Could that have anything to do with this?

mmcallister
Contributor II
I've enabled a few restrictions in one of the configuration profiles I've deployed

Do you have more than one profile with a Restrictions payload?

sedwards
Contributor
Do you have more than one profile with a Restrictions payload?

No. I currently just have 3 configuration profiles. I've double checked and the other 2 profiles do not have any restrictions payloads.

mmcallister
Contributor II

Can you confirm the Restrictions profile is the culprit by excluding the device from the profile scope?

sedwards
Contributor
Can you confirm the Restrictions profile is the culprit by excluding the device from the profile scope?

I can confirm that Restrictions are NOT the culprit as removing them does not allow the option to sign into the iTunes & App Store in Settings.

EDIT: Hmmm, removing the configuration profile and re-adding it seems to have done the trick.

mmcallister
Contributor II

Glad you got it sorted out. We haven't started with Managed AppleIDs yet, but I found this in the documentation: https://help.apple.com/schoolmanager/#/tes78b477c81

Some Apple services and features are disabled for Managed Apple IDs, such as: App Store (allow browsing but not purchasing, paid or free) iTunes Store (allow browsing but not purchasing, paid or free)

sedwards
Contributor
Glad you got it sorted out. We haven't started with Managed AppleIDs yet, but I found this in the documentation: https://help.apple.com/schoolmanager/#/tes78b477c81 Some Apple services and features are disabled for Managed Apple IDs, such as: App Store (allow browsing but not purchasing, paid or free) iTunes Store (allow browsing but not purchasing, paid or free)

I can confirm this is NOT the case. I just logged in with a managed Apple ID and was able to install free apps. However, I do have "Buy Apps and Books" checked off in Content Privileges for my users in Apple School Manager.