"Upgrade to macOS Monterey" "using Self Service" "with Jamf Pro"

dgeiler
Contributor

Hello everyone, Hope you are all enjoying the holidays. I (UNCA) need some help writing a script for the deployment of Monterey. I found a few guides for Big Sur. From Jamf, Github, and a few others. Thank you in advance

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/mac-os-monterey-update-via-self-service/td-p/254256

Jamf Pro - Upgrading Macs to latest operating system - IS&T Contributions - Hermes (mit.educhrome-ex...

16 REPLIES 16

Alitejawi
New Contributor II

What is your question? 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@dgeiler The 1st thread you linked in your post, and specifically the https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/mac-os-monterey-update-via-self-service/m-p/254260/highlight/... post in that thread, provides an answer for how to easily deploy macOS Monterey. Was there something you wanted to ask about using the erase-install script it mentions?

dhausman
Contributor

This is what I was thinking about it.  I don't have it all set yet, but I will use a script to create a new admin user account.

Deploy the installer. I use this to get the installer.

Once the installer is present, I will put it in Self Service, and make it available in Nudge to start the install.

Then I will use something simple like this:

echo 'temppasswordfromtempadminaccount' | '/Applications/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall' --agreetolicense --forcequitapps --user tempadmin --stdinpass

Then I will script removal of the install account.

MatG
Contributor III

Simplest way with a bit of user interaction...Self Service Policy and run this

open macappstore://apps.apple.com/gb/app/macos-monterey/id1576738294?mt=12

It opens Apple App Store at the Monterey Download, user clicks it, it downloads and once done will open the installer.

This assumes your users are running as admin right?

dgeiler
Contributor

Thank you all for your advice

Ramesh89
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I am using the Self Service Tool to add the Install macOS monterey.app. However How do I notify the users about the installation and schedule the installation with admin rights via JamF. My users are all on Standard rights. Please advise.

Upgrade to macOS Big Sur using Self Service with Jamf

Follow this link and substitute Montery

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hoping to setup upgrade in place to Monterey (from Catalina) in Self Service

I am following the document here

My users do not have admin rights

I am unable to upload the file "Install MacOS Monterey.app.pkg" using the WebApp (not jamf admin) after creating it using the linked document and MegaPKGr.sh

@talkingmoose  (Hi Bill!)

I have created the file twice, once v. 12.2 and then again when 12.2.1 came out. no help.
We're running JamfPro 10.35.0-t1640197529 jamfcloud
I initially tried using a local DP as master, and now have switched to my JDC as master and get same failure, gets to 99% never finishes

MegaPKGr.zsh log:

2022-02-11 13:29:37 Chosen folder is writable
2022-02-11 13:29:41 Disk has enough free space to build "Install macOS Monterey.app.pkg"
2022-02-11 13:29:43 Succeeded creating temporary working directory
2022-02-11 13:34:28 Succeeded creating DMG archive of Install macOS Monterey.app
2022-02-11 13:34:30 Succeeded creating pkgbuild ROOT directory
2022-02-11 13:34:32 Succeeded creating pkgbuild Scripts directory
2022-02-11 13:34:56 Succeeded creating 500 MB file chunks from archive file
2022-02-11 13:34:58 Succeeded creating pkgbuild postinstall script
2022-02-11 13:41:17 Succeeded creating package "Install macOS Monterey.app.pkg" in /Users/mac/Desktop/
2022-02-11 13:41:21 Succeeded removing temporary items
2022-02-11 13:41:22 Packaging time: 11 minutes and 51 seconds

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I scrapped my plan and switched over to using this https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install

Works great!!

Good stuff. I'm considering the same. Does it work well for an upgrade, say from Big Sur to Monterey after enrollment?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

What is especially great about this is that when the update version changes, it can pull the current version, or a specific version you want to target. We are mostly going Catalina > Monterey, and some student carts from Mohave.

no reason to think it would be different from Big Sur.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Just to be clear, you can have erase-install pull the latest macOS installer, or you can have it pull a specific version (at least for recent macOS versions). This is important for organizations that may need to control what version of macOS is being deployed in their environment.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

thanks for clarifying that, and I edited mine to prevent confusion!

MatthewHegge
New Contributor II

Actually the App store installer is not working with M1 machines. 

Use :

https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install

Works well with silicon and intel.