Recon - An Unknown Error Occurred?

musat
Contributor III

Hello,
I am getting our DEP workflow resolved and I think I finally have it where the system will install all of the policies necessary at the initial prep. However, now I am noticing a different error. The Mac Inventory never uploads to the JSS. When I look at the Mac entry all of the details are empty: 0 Applications, 0 Plugins, no data for any EA. Oddly it does have some correct data: IP Address, Profiles, Certificates, Services.

If I open Terminal and run a jamf recon, everything runs through until the "Submitting data". I then get "Unknown Error - An unknown error has occurred". We have a Policy in Self Service to run the Update Inventory, and when I run that it shows complete, but still no data is sent to the JSS. I can install any of the other Policies in Self Service with no problems. It's just the Inventory that will not upload.

So, what to I check next to see why this isn't uploading?

Thank, Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Tim,

I would check and see if you have the box checked in Settings > Computer Management > Inventory Collection > Collect available software updates. If so, these computers might have that vulnerability fix as an available update and that update's string is too long for recon to collect. Try unchecking that box and recon again and see if that helps.

Matt

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

musat
Contributor III

Realized that I forgot to mention that we are on Jamf Pro 10.1.1. Additionally, this Recon issue is only appearing on the two Macs I am using to test our DEP / 10.13 deployment workflow.

Tim

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Tim,

I would check and see if you have the box checked in Settings > Computer Management > Inventory Collection > Collect available software updates. If so, these computers might have that vulnerability fix as an available update and that update's string is too long for recon to collect. Try unchecking that box and recon again and see if that helps.

Matt

musat
Contributor III

Yep, that's what it was. I haven't updated my install thumbdrive to 10.13.2, so I've been installing 10.13.1. Turned off Collect available software updates and it sends fine. Guess I'll leave it off for a while.

B-35405
Contributor

That is not a fix but a workaround. Collect available software updates is very important and shouldn't be turned off. JAMF told me they have a product issue that needs to be addressed. You can try this workaround so that you don't have to drop Collect available software updates.
On each server do this...

Edit JAMFSoftwareServerDatabaseSchema.xml
Windows servers: navigate to JSS > Tomcat > Tomcat > Webapps > ROOT > WEB-INF > xml > JAMFSoftwareServerDatabaseSchema.xml

we'll want to modify this:
<table> <table_name>available_software_updates</table_name> <column> <name>version</name> <type>varchar</type> <size>31</size> </column>

to

<column> <name>version</name> <type>varchar</type> <size>255</size> </column>

All you need to do is update the varchar size to 255 from 31.

But again, this is a workaround.

musat
Contributor III

Yeah, knew that wasn't the "solution", but it did correctly diagnose the issue. So far this only seems to be popping up on our test Macs, as those are our only 10.13 Macs. This doesn't seem to be an issue on any of our 10.12 or 10.11 Macs. So for a few days while testing, turning off that option will work.

I'll see about updating the schema if it winds up being more than a few days.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I just experienced this for the first time here.

JSS Server is 9.99 (Windows). Client in question is a High Sierra test Mac running 10.13.2.

Toggling off "Collect available software updates" did the trick.

I have other test Macs running High Sierra and havent seen any problems with Recon.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Does anyone know if this 'product issue' is resolved in 10.2? I dont see it listed in docs.

EdLuo
Contributor II

Issue was resolved for us after we upgrade 10.13.2 to 10.13.3.

scottlep
Contributor II

dstranathan, no it was not resolved with JP10.2.0. I let Jamf know this morning. So if you upgrade to JP10.2.0 you will need to edit the JAMFSoftwareServerDatabaseSchema.xml file again

EdLuo, the reason the issue is resolved by going from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 is because the software update that is causing the error as mentioned by B-35405 is no longer available.

iweiss
New Contributor III

Until Apple comes out with another Supplemental update that causes the same issue.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1958?locale=en_US

wildfrog
Contributor II

To go along with what Ian.W said. . .We're on JP10.1.1 and I noticed this with my machine - already at 10.13.3. Looking at the App Store for updates, lo and behold the macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update released on 2/19. As soon as I ran the update, recon worked for me again.

I guess that is the other 'workaround', right - just run the update.

a_holley
Contributor

I've just encountered this on one of our machines, and we don't have "Collect available software updates" ticked.

a_holley
Contributor

I've got two laptops this is happening on, and I cannot work out what is causing it or how to fix it.

cjatsbm
New Contributor II

Ditto I have this on a 10.12 machine... always error submitting recon but policies and configs install fine

Qwheel
Contributor II

Weirdly enough, I have a room of 2017 21.5" Intel iMacs that all have 'Unknown error' after attempting to submit.
Other devices are getting on OK I think.

In my case though, unchecked 'Available updates etc', hasn't fixed the problem at all.

I've just re-imaged a few of them and they are still having issues. Naturally, I need sudo JAMF recon to work otherwise I'll struggle to get our VPP apps out to devices. It also breaks a number of Smart Groups that the devices are a part of.

I understand I'm jumping back into this old thread years later but it is helpful if it's not just me getting stuck by this.
JAMF 10.32.2

Bronson
New Contributor II

@Qwheel Funny enough, I am seeing this for the first time on that exact same model of iMacs. We updated them to 11.6.2 and now recon is failing after submitting data. Were you able to get this resolved on yours? We have multiple machines running this OS, but this is the first 2017 21.5" and the first issue we've seen.

DTB_Kirky
New Contributor III

I'm still seeing this problem since Jamf updated our Cloud Pro Servers to 10.40.1

The only way I can get the recon to finish is to close 1 or 2 'zsh' processes that it opens??

These are obviously triggered by the recon, but no idea how to permanently fix it