Recon Not Always Seeing JSS

musat
Contributor III

Hello,

Not sure where to begin with this one. I have a mobile filter package that we are pushing out to all of our student Macs. I've looked at the chart and logs and see a hundred or so "Failed" reports, out of about 1600. That didn't seem too bad, so I started looking at the reports. The first dozen I opened showed the package as successfully downloading and installing. The failure came at some point during the Recon process. Either at the beginning, at the "Retrieving inventory preferences from https://jss-01.ccsd93.com:8443/..." or at the end with some form of "Error running recon: Connection failure: "The host jss-01.ccsd93.com is not accessible."

My first question is: Is it possible to not show Recon failures as "Failures"? Everything else processed successfully.

Second: Any idea why our JSS is sometimes inaccessible? We did update the server to 9.11. We are running our JSS on a Linux server that has been kept updated. Are there updated system recommendations for 9 on Linux that I did not notice?

Thanks, Tim

9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Ditto on this one. I've had multiple problems that I've whittled down and am primarily looking at this specific failure as well as a few CRUD errors that we're chasing through different channels.

I am on OS X 10.8.5, JSS 9.12

The policies are working. We can resolve our host names just fine everywhere else, except when recon throws a fit.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

OK... kind of embarrassing. In working with JAMF I've found that I misconfigured the "Grant All" command when creating the new jamfsoftware database during last weeks rebuild. Instead of typing:

grant all on jamfsoftware.* to jamfsoftware@localhost identified by 'password';

I apparently added the '' around the database name which left the password BLANK! The JSS sort of got along with this because, well, not having a password grated quite a lot of access. I'm hoping that this will help resolve the issue.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately I am still seeing these errors form time to time on normal Inventory processes. I'm beginning my research now and will fill in more info later.

** UPDATE ** Looks like possible ARP Cache issues on our core switch. Once we resolve those I'll see if I still have failing connections to the jss

denose
New Contributor

Did you guys have an update to this?

I get email alerts from Casper and often get Recon errors the same as original post. If I ssh to the machine and run sudo jamf recon it will work. Doing host/nslookup shows that is nows the Casper server.

Not sure where to go from here. Thanks

pbetancourth
New Contributor

I've also begun to see these alerts coming in randomly. They don't seem consistent and tend to be different machines every time.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Ditto, very random, very inconsistent.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I've encountered this problem too. We weren't having this problem prior to updating to version 9.3. I have computers that are hard wired to the network and are always turned on have this issue not just my laptop users. I don't see any common thread between those computers experiencing this issue.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Me too. It's random.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I saw this at HDS- turned out to be our riverbeds not treating SSL traffic on a port other than 443 correctly. If you've got riverbeds, try setting your JSS url to bypass them.