Refresh Inventory

jondowd
New Contributor II

How can I poll for changes in inventory?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I see. So are you saying they aren't doing that automatically? Because they should if things were set up correctly. Not saying you did anything wrong, but if they aren't submitting new inventory then there is something not set up right.

There could be a number of reasons for this, but let's start with the simple things first.

In your JSS, go to Management > Policies and look for a policy called something like "Update Inventory" That's the default name with a JSS install, but it may be called something else. Basically it should be a policy set to an everyX minutes trigger and runs either once a day, once a week or so on, depending on the choices you made when going through the setup pages. It should also be scoped to All Computers and under the Advanced tab it should have the "Update Inventory" option checked. That's pretty much it.

If that's there, good. If not, you're going to need to make one. That may be enough to solve the issue, but you'll also want to make sure your clients can actually connect back to your JSS. If you have access to one of the managed systems that isn't giving you inventory, run some commands in Terminal to check connectivity:

sudo jamf checkJSSConnection

It should tell you the JSS is available and also list the address of your JSS. If it fails or keeps retrying, you'll need to troubleshoot that.

If you do have a connection, you can just try submitting a manual inventory like so:

sudo jamf recon

or

sudo jamf recon -verbose

if you want to see everything that's going on.

Then go back into your JSS > Inventory and pull up the record for that Mac and see if new data is there.

Post back with your findings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270

Can you clarify? Are you looking to report on the differences between one inventory report and another, or are you just trying to get your Mac clients to submit new inventory? For that matter, are you talking about Macs or iOS devices?

jondowd
New Contributor II

Ah. Sorry. I'd like my Mac clients to submit new inventory info (such as OS version changes, etc.) not iOS devices, Apple computers only. Thank you.

mm2270

I see. So are you saying they aren't doing that automatically? Because they should if things were set up correctly. Not saying you did anything wrong, but if they aren't submitting new inventory then there is something not set up right.

There could be a number of reasons for this, but let's start with the simple things first.

In your JSS, go to Management > Policies and look for a policy called something like "Update Inventory" That's the default name with a JSS install, but it may be called something else. Basically it should be a policy set to an everyX minutes trigger and runs either once a day, once a week or so on, depending on the choices you made when going through the setup pages. It should also be scoped to All Computers and under the Advanced tab it should have the "Update Inventory" option checked. That's pretty much it.

If that's there, good. If not, you're going to need to make one. That may be enough to solve the issue, but you'll also want to make sure your clients can actually connect back to your JSS. If you have access to one of the managed systems that isn't giving you inventory, run some commands in Terminal to check connectivity:

sudo jamf checkJSSConnection

It should tell you the JSS is available and also list the address of your JSS. If it fails or keeps retrying, you'll need to troubleshoot that.

If you do have a connection, you can just try submitting a manual inventory like so:

sudo jamf recon

or

sudo jamf recon -verbose

if you want to see everything that's going on.

Then go back into your JSS > Inventory and pull up the record for that Mac and see if new data is there.

Post back with your findings.

jondowd
New Contributor II

I believe I threw that baby out with the bath water... as I was cleaning out some of my test policies from the JSS Management console I apparently deleted the 'Update Inventory' as well. Thanks to your very good and prompt help, it's back in place and working as it should.