Releasing Apple Hardware in School Manager

llitz123
Contributor III

Is there a process documented for how to remove/release hardware from Apple School Manager?
I'm mainly interested in the order of steps to get hardware out of Jamf and School Manager and real world examples of repurposing released hardware to non business users. For example, do I need to find my receipt to give to hardware recipient?
Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

When I am 110% sure the device is never re-entering our fleet. (Someone shows a receipt or proof of insurance payout for our 3rd party warranty people), our secretary will then order me to wipe the device, delete the device out of the JSS and issue a “disown call” in DEP. only when she has issued those instructions does ANY device leave our DEP that is in there and we set her up to handle the paperwork side of that.

Not official documentation and likely not updated for School Manager but here’s what I could find quick:

http://www.gocwi.com/blog/be-sure-to-disown-your-old-devices/

llitz123
Contributor III

@blackholemac Thats very helpful. Thanks.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

One follow up....large bloc of devices leaving the fleet....within the managed devices area of School Manager, you can disown multiple devices.

I haven’t done that myself yet, BUT I will be this summer. What we plan do there is remove all suspected iPads that we plan to discharge from any active JSS prestage ahead of someone else taking ownership. Note I am NOT removing from DEP yet. Our recycling folks (or a winning bidder) are required to submit a final inventory list by serial number. When they submit that list to our secretary and she verifies they paid for the lot, I will feel comfortable doing a mass disown.

As you can see, most of the work is on the administrative side...it’s easy to disown a device but near impossible to re-add to DEP/School Manager. Finding a good internal equipment discharge process that works with the people/processes you already have is key. Our secretary is willing to do the work herself of disowning devices, But having someone else actually do it provides good checks and balances so accidents D but having someone else actually do it provides good checks and balances so accidents are less likely to happen.

I would also make sure as part of your plan that whoever acquires your former devices is required to sign something saying that your district is no longer required to provide support in any way for these devices. Finally if you are discharging a large number of devices you should probably let the buyer know upfront that it is theoretically possible that some of these may be activation locked with iCloud And that you can only provide very limited assistance to help with that.