Remote Commands

SeanRussell
New Contributor II

I just have a quick question. A remote command uses push notifications, instead of a check in, correct? As such, if I send a remote wipe command to a system that is off the network, then connect it to the network, how long until it checks in and wipes? Should that be instant? Or should it take a few minutes and need to check in?

2 REPLIES 2

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

That depends on a whole lot of factors....you are correct that the remote wipe commands do use push notifications. I have had both mobile devices and Macs off network take upwards of a few minutes to a few hours to "get the message". If the user isn't connected to a network, you can push until you are blue in the face and nothing will happen...when you reconnect to a network then, I have sometimes seen it take a few minutes. I've also noticed that sometimes a device will have a feedback token or show up as "busy" in it's listing of commands being run.

Push notifications are never perfect and I usually see sending a push as needing a window of time to complete if going to a large group of devices.

SeanRussell
New Contributor II

Great, thanks for the response! During my testing I was getting mixed results on the time frame, so I wanted to make sure that was normal. I really appreciate the feedback.