Replicate your repository to a local volume for imaging

arekdreyer
Contributor

In this example, I created a folder at the root of my startup disk. But you could also create a folder on an external removable disk.

Prepare the folder to be used as a local distribution point.

Option A: Use Finder to create the folder.

1. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  2. Enter
    /
    then click Go.
  3. Press Shit-Command-N to create a new folder (or choose File > New Folder).
  4. When prompted, enter administrator credentials then click OK.
  5. Enter the name for the new folder, like
    jamf
    then press Enter to save the name change.
  6. Leave the Finder window open, with the /jamf folder visible, for the next step (it won't be displayed with the leading slash; I just refer to it like that in written instructions).

Option B: Use Terminal to create the folder.
Skip this if you used Option A above.

1. Use Terminal to create a local distribution point (you can replace /jamf with /casper or whatever you like, but be consistent).
    sudo mkdir /jamf
  2. Change ownership so you have the ability to write to it (of course, replace ladmin with the name of your local administrator name):
    sudo chown ladmin /jamf
  3. Open a new Finder window, then choose Go > Computer.
  4. Double-click your startup disk so you can see the /jamf folder (it won't be displayed with the leading slash; I just refer to it like that in written instructions).

Replicate:

1. Open Casper Admin.
  2. In Finder, drag your /jamf folder to the sidebar in Casper Admin.
  3. In Casper Admin, select the local distribution point (/jamf).
  4. Click Replicate.
  5. After replication is complete, press Command-S to save.

Use Casper Imaging:

1. Open Casper Imaging.
  2. Click the pop-up menu next to Distribution Point and choose Choose Local Drive.
  3. In the dialog, select your local distribution point (/jamf). If you don't see the folder, press Command-Shift-G, enter
    /jamf
    then click Go (replace /jamf with the name of your local distribution point).
  4. After you've selected your local distribution point, click Choose.
7 REPLIES 7

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Just curious, why the need for the initial 1st command-line steps? Never had an issue just doing this through the finder and dragging into Casper Admin, but I don't use Casper imaging very often.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

This is also a good way to quickly get a copy of all the scripts in JSS.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

arekdreyer
Contributor

@Taylor.Armstrong I find using Terminal to be quicker, but I updated the article with two options, using Finder or using Terminal, to create a folder at the root of the startup disk. Thanks!

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

^^. No problem - esp. with the permissions fixing, was wondering if I'd missed something when I did it. Like I said - don't use imaging often at all.

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@arekdreyer You might also want to point out that if your available storage space on your local volume (cough, cough, MBA 128GB SSD) isn't sufficient to hold the entire contents of your Distribution Point, Casper Imaging is fine with only the needed subset for your imaging task being downloaded manually from your DP rather than the full copy provided by Replicate in Casper Admin.

arekdreyer
Contributor

Great point, @StoneMagnet! Do you have a recpie for creating a subset? Thanks!

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@arekdreyer Nothing documented (truth be told I use DeployStudio for imaging, then Jamf Pro Policies & Self Service for the rest). My DPs are SMB hosted, so it's just a matter of mounting the CasperRead sharepoint via Connect to Server... in the Finder, then copying the files corresponding to what Casper Imaging will need to a local /jamf/Packages directory (you'd probably want to include the CompiledConfigurations directory from your DP if you're using those).