Restrict access to location information

tomnorton
New Contributor II

Hi

We are looking into various MDM solutions.

Is anyone able to tell me if in JAMF it is possible to restrict access to location information of iOS devices to certain administrators?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

miregan
Contributor II

You would have to restrict access to the whole object. You cant restrict access to only location info. I am unsure why this would be needed though if they are administrators. Why wouldnt you want your admins to be able to see location info?

tomnorton
New Contributor II

From a data protection / GDPR point of view we are now only allowed a limited number of management staff to see location information of staff devices.

We still need administrators to carry out day to day tasks, but only allow say 2 of them to see location information.

miregan
Contributor II

You would have to block the whole Mobile Devices object. They would not be able to issue commands to the devices or edit inventory information etc.

jamf_sam

Hello @tomnorton ,

This is something that Jamf Pro can do. Here is a video by our very own @dave.saltmarsh talking about how we can build delegated access within Jamf Pro.

https://youtu.be/K-bcBv1RPgw?t=394

You can separate the ability to enable lost mode and the ability to see the reported coordinates. You are absolutely right, from a security perspective this makes a lot of sense. In Jamf Pro, that permission is called "View Mobile Device Lost Mode Location".

Hope that helps!

miregan
Contributor II

I stand corrected. Thanks for that as I didnt see the option