Riddle for the Ages - Computer Name

saulv
New Contributor III

So, I looked everywhere for this, to no avail.

Taking an old laptop that was previously managed via DS/Munki. Unassigned in ASM, Reassigned in ASM. Wiped, Installed clean OS(Mojave). Pre-stage enrolled. Manually change the computer name. It then REVERTS back to an old name that has never been associated with JAMF. It's an old name from the Deploy Studio Days. Where in the World is it grabbing that info?? I wiped the drive clean. That old name Data is nowhere in Jamf. Does it somehow live on the boot/recovery area? If yes, can that be easily changed?

I've done the scutil name change followed by a recon and it works initially but always eventually repopulates with that old name data. So maddening and Perplexing.

Thanks for any insight.

4 REPLIES 4

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Could this be DNS pushing a name back down to the host?

saulv
New Contributor III

I'm not really that savvy with DNS and all that it handles, but I don't think we have ever kept that name data anywhere but locally on the machine. These are connected to a simple Open Directory for authorizing log-ins, but the only data there is usernames and pws.

edickson
Contributor

I was thinking what @easyedc said, some type of DHCP cache or an ARP table on a router somewhere?

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

We have the issue where our ARP tables are not flushed at all, and so if a Mac is connected to an ethernet port usually used by a Windows computer, the Windows DNS record is essentially pushed down to the Mac and over-writes it's name. Wouldn't be surprised if that is happening here.