Root JDS replication

bstrube
New Contributor

Is it possible to defer packages when replicating to the root JDS? We have some big packages and do not want these to replicate during the day. It would be nice if you did not have to do a full replication at one time.

We ran into an issue with our root JDS and got it fixed so it started replicating all (over 50) of our packages. Since some of these are big, it would be nice to be able to pick and choose which ones you want to replicate. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

Josh_S
Contributor III

JDS replication is driven from the child nodes. If a child node is setup to replicate from a parent node, and the parent node has a package available that the child node "wants", it will start downloading it the next time it checks in.

If you don't want to replicate "now", due to a one-time something big changing like what you had, you can make sure that no JDS nodes have your root JDS listed as a parent. The child nodes won't see new packages on their parents, which will suspend replication. To start them replicating, just revert your changes. You can also mark certain/all packages as unwanted on a child node by editing the child node and setting "Files to Replicate" to "Specific Files". You can then add in files over time to take some manual control over this replication.

If you're just trying to conserve bandwidth, you can "Limit [the] Download Rate" on specific JDS child nodes. This is static, per child node, but you can specify a "safe" replication speed so that it doesn't adversely affect network utilization.

If you really want to limit all replication to specific times of day, rather than throttling it but replicating all of the time, you can edit the crontab on the server. Right now it's set to check in, and replicate any packages, every 5 minutes. With some fancy editing of the crontab, you could take control over this. But note, this is fully unsupported by JAMF and the new installer will most likely overwrite, or otherwise mangle, your modifications. I would try this in a test environment first, and watch what happens during an upgrade, so you can be prepared for what you can expect if you move this to production.

dderusha
Contributor

No I don't think it is possible. I believe the Root needs all the packages from the Distribution point.

Josh_S
Contributor III

@dderusha

The 'root' JDS/Distribution Point does require all of the packages. That's what makes it root. It is the authoritative source of what is available anywhere. That said, the replication from the 'root' JDS to child JDS's can be delayed. Which is what I think (?) @bstrube was asking.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester