root3 Support app - custom logo not appearing?

rshepherd
New Contributor III

I configured the wonderful Support app today, and everything seems to be working the way I want it to, except for the custom logo I'd like to use (our institution's logo). I edited the image size down to 48x48, and put the file in the recommended location (/Library/Application Support/[our institution name]/[image file]), though the image will not appear in the Support menu on my test device. When I edit other features in the config profile, the changes take place almost immediately, but the logo has yet to change. Anybody familiar with deployment of this app have any pointers/ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Definitely needs to be deployed. The config profile just contains the path to look for the file

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

Its working for me perfectly fine. This is what it looks like in the plist preview for my config profile:

<key>Logo</key>
<string>/Library/Application Support/companyName/companyName.png</string>
<key>LogoDarkMode</key>
<string>/Library/Application Support/companyName/companyName.png</string>

rshepherd
New Contributor III

Hmm, it looks exactly the same for me.

This is grasping at straws, but do you know the permissions on the png file?

Here's what mine look like:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root       admin    22K Mar 11  2021 companyName.png

rshepherd
New Contributor III

Here's mine:

-rw-r--r--@        1 rshepherd     6.7K Dec  9 15:18 /Library/Application Support/companyName/companyname.png

worth a shot to run the following commands to see if it helps:

sudo chown root:admin /Library/Application\ Support/companyName/companyname.png
sudo chmod 755 /Library/Application\ Support/companyName/companyname.png

rshepherd
New Contributor III

Still no luck. Does the image need to be deployed to the machines in scope of the profile, by chance? Or does it just upload from my computer per the filepath in the config profile?

Definitely needs to be deployed. The config profile just contains the path to look for the file

rshepherd
New Contributor III

Ah okay, that's most likely the issue then. I'll deploy the image, then report back!

rshepherd
New Contributor III

That did the trick! I appreciate the help!

hakimig
New Contributor II

Hi Can you tell me exactly what you did then to get this to work? My logo will not load. Thanks in adavnce.

rshepherd
New Contributor III

When I packaged the Support app in Jamf Composer for deployment, I dropped the image file in the folder and made sure the filepath of the image reflected what was configured in Jamf. You need to add the image file to the folder before creating the .pkg

hakimig
New Contributor II

Ahh okay, that stinks for me because I already used Jamf catalog to deploy the support app. So i guess I'm going to have to live with it.

rshepherd
New Contributor III

In that case--you could package the image by itself and deploy silently via Jamf, then edit your Support app policy to reflect the desired filepath for the image on the end user's machine, if that makes sense.

hakimig
New Contributor II

But thank you for getting back to me on that. 

scottb
Honored Contributor

@hakimig - you don't have to "live with it"!

All you need to do is create an image and then package it.  

I use '/Library/Application Support/SupportApp/image.png' and then add that location to the Profile for SupportApp.

You can add/change/remove it at any time - even after deployment.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Use it and it works great. Using json setup. How did you deploy the icon in Jamf?

rshepherd
New Contributor III

I just added the filepath of the icon to the "Custom Logo" fields in the Preference Domain Properties of the config profile I made for the Support app. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 8.12.55 AM.png