Safari 15.4 Installer Download Links

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II
20 REPLIES 20

arfan_ali
New Contributor II

Thanks @sdagley 

Been searching for a standalone PKG, Apple does not seem to make it easy to get hold of them.

How does one go about getting these links?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@arfan_ali Those URLs are the ones that Software Update uses to download the installers, and @hjuutilainen 's SUS Inspector 2.0 beta 1 (downloadable from  https://github.com/hjuutilainen/sus-inspector/releases ) is the tool I use to find them. Note that SUS Inspector won't run on Monterey 12.3 as it requires the Apple installed Python, @hjuutilainen would need to comment on if they plan to release a new version with a self-contained copy of Python to run on 12.3 and later.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

SUS Inspector 2.1 is now available, but does require installation of Python 2 for use on Monterey 12.3 or newer (there are download links for a couple of different Python 2 packages on the download page).

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@sdagley Thank you, Steve!

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Hello,

What do you think of this script ?

#!/bin/sh

check=$(softwareupdate -l | grep Safari | grep -o 'Safari[^[:blank:]]*' | head -n 1)
echo "$check"
softwareupdate -i "$check"

exit 0

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Are there Safari 15.5 installers download links, please?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mhasman I'm in the process of moving all of my environment to macOS Monterey, so I'm no longer digging up the standalone Safari installers, but you can get that info from SUS Inspector 2.1 (Note that if you're running it on a Mac running macOS Monterey 12.3 or newer you'll need to install Python to run it, and there are links to suitable Python installers on the linked page)

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Thank you!

We are moving to Monterey, too, but still have some Big Sur "leftovers". Would be nice to have the image to push...

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Anyone has Safari 15.6.1 for Big Sur download link, please?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mhasman Do I take it you've finally removed all of your Catalina systems? :-)

Here's the Big Sur 15.6.1 download link: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/40/13/012-57330-A_1K7PZCZBI6/gyg7z5d7ay46omy3w3t5vytz97ji03...

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@sdagley Thank you very much!

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@sdagley Thank you very much!

fireant
New Contributor

Hello I am relatively new to Mac administration. I come from a Windows background. I am trying to push the Safari 15.6.1 security update release Aug 18 2022. What would be the most efficient way? I've already downloaded SUS inspector and downloaded the pkg. Would it be through a configuration profile? What would be the application settings?  Jamf, external, upload? Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 2.53.36 PM.png

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@fireant A Configuration Profile isn't what you'd want to deploy an application. To deploy the Safari 15.6.1 .pkg you'd need to uploaded it to your Jamf Pro Distribution Point (be that a local DP of a Jamf Cloud DP). Then you'd create a Policy to deploy the .pkg to Macs using a Smart Group to target machines that aren't current, or if you're a Jamf Cloud customer you could use a watch Management configuration for Apple Safari and create a Patch Policy for 15.61 to push that .pkg to Macs not yet at that version.

Thank you @sdagley So a policy would be the best practice to update Safari. If I also wanted to update existing Monterey machines to the new security patch 12.5.1 released by Apple on Aug 17th would a policy also be best practice? Thank you so very much for your prompt and thorough response! 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@fireant Sadly enforcing updates on macOS Monterey is currently much more complex than it should be. The most recent Jamf Nation discussion going into detail on that is (despite the title the techniques presented apply to Intel Macs as well) : https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/programmatic-macos-updates-for-apple-silicon/m-p/229141/highl...

Thank you so very much for sharing all of this knowledge with me. I will check out that post and hopefully will be able to upgrade our Monterey devices.

fperry
New Contributor II

If the goal is to just update Safari to the latest version on Monterey, you could just create an execute command in the Files and Processes of a policy. (see below) I am still testing to see if this will work in Ventura, but it worked like a charm for Monterey.

/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install --safari-only --force

Yuniel
New Contributor II

Works great on Monterey.  does not seem to work on Ventura though.  

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Yuniel To update Safari on macOS Ventura currently requires updating macOS Ventura itself. There are no standalone Safari installers for macOS Ventura at this time, and based on past Safari updates for non-current macOS versions there won't be any until the successor to macOS Ventura is released.