Scheduled updates from macOS14 to 14.1 - how to stop?

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Testing Scheduled updates and this seems to work as advertised. I set a time and the device updates. 

But.. I cannot find a way to stop the update or change the date or time once sent? 

Sending a revised date / time via the beta Software Updates does not override the previous command.

Removing plist lists for software update makes no difference and this is all DDM / jason.. 

Anyone dug further? 

8 REPLIES 8

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Resending the MDM command will override the existing MDM Command if the process has not already started. You can also cancel all MDM commands globally or one by one at the device level, again if the update process has not started. Once the update process has started, there is no stopping it. I have not had a chance to dig in to DDM specifically yet.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Unlike "old school" MDM commands the new Declarative Device Management (DDM) commands don't appear as a Pending Command so you can't cancel them that way. My understanding is that you can remove a DDM configuration from a device, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that in the Jamf Pro GUI at this time, so for now the alternative would be to push a new DDM update command with a date well into the future.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

I've tested sending a new DDM scheduled update and that does not affect the previous sent command. 

Any ideas where DDM config is located locally?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

That's unexpected based on comments that have been made regarding DDM update behavior on the MacAdmins slack. I'd suggest opening a support case with Jamf asking for their solution to canceling/changing a DDM update request.

I do not know where DDM settings are stored local but it should be something that isn't user modifiable as that would kind of defeat the "Management" aspect of the feature.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

interesting.. have a ticket open..the reply was:  'there is no way to cancel' .. 'that would be a feature request' 

oddly.. even though the Mac has now updated to 14.1 im still seeing DDM entries in the install log with the prior enforcement date etc. As there is no update Im not getting notified, but this looks.. wrong.. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Here's a tip fresh from the product owner for the Software Update feature - turn off the new Software Update functionality and it will cancel all in-flight DDM update configurations. Then turn it back on and send your new configuration.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

ahh. the old 'turn in off and on again solution' how far we have come.. 😎  thanks for the tip.. back to testing.. 

qddly
New Contributor

Hi guys,
to add my stone, I launched an initial DDM command to upgrade my Sonoma from 14.0 to 14.1 without a hitch, I wanted to test again from 14.1 to 14.1.1, and that's where it's more complicated, I've reviewed the discussions a little and here are some inputs I can provide
DDM settings can be found here :  `/var/db/softwareupdate/SoftwareUpdateDDMStatePersistence.plist`

I found quite a few errors of this type in my install.log :
`
2023-11-08 16:32:36+01 name mdmclient[50106]: -[SUOSUMDMController _availableUpdatesUsingAppleSoftwareLookupJson:withLegacy:WithError:]: MDM conflicts with DDM, ignoring OS updates`

and now Jamf is trying to restart DDM actions in a loop on my device.
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 16.38.54.png
I've tried your trick of turning the option off and on again in the Jamf console, but I can't solve the issue.

I'm going to open a ticket to the support team, as I assume this is not normal.