Screensaver disabled and defaulting to 2 mins (on occasion)

lukefutrli
New Contributor

I have run into a strange problem where the screensaver settings seems to be greyed out and defaulting to start after 2 minutes. I have not created a configuration profile for the screensaver so confused where this is coming from.

4e59ceeb6cf94e019509659955cfeb8c

In testing the issue, I have created a separate configuration profile where I have added a login window setting to start the screensaver 5 mins after inactivity. Upon restart this does appear to work where the option in system preferences is greyed out but showing 5 minutes, however upon another restart/log in, this then goes back to 2 mins (and back and forth etc).

7fb740677aeb4d91bba34ed801f9e10f

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lukefutrli
New Contributor

@surajitbpn Yes I did in the end - it turns out I was declaring both passcode profiles in the Pre-stage Enrolment and its own configuration profile. One was set to 2 mins and the other set to 5 mins which is why it was switching. I just deleted the pre-stage profile and its fixed my issue

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Surajit
New Contributor III

@lukefutrli Did you find a fix for this ?
Even I am facing the same problem.

lukefutrli
New Contributor

@surajitbpn Yes I did in the end - it turns out I was declaring both passcode profiles in the Pre-stage Enrolment and its own configuration profile. One was set to 2 mins and the other set to 5 mins which is why it was switching. I just deleted the pre-stage profile and its fixed my issue

Surajit
New Contributor III

@lukefutrli Okay, Thank for the response.
In my case we were facing PI-006185.
And to fix it we had to create custom plist and upload it as Custom Settings payload and distribute as User Lever CP.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
And to fix it we had to create custom plist and upload it as Custom Settings payload and distribute as User Lever CP.

I wasn't even aware there was a PI for this, but that's exactly what I've done to get that setting to apply. Jamf Pro doesn't have anything built in that actually applies that screensaver setting reliably for the logged in user. Some people point to the LoginWindow setting referenced, but the truth is, that actually is intended for the login window, just as the name implies. That's why some people who use it find it flips off and on after reboots. The only reliable way to set it is as a user level profile with a Custom Settings payload. This is the one I have for that:

01eb9f4afea44cf8856dd00527c33d46

It works perfectly, and locks the setting so it can't be modified by the end user:

94ad3832be8a495e8d7bcb9dc7b7f610