Screensaver password prompt in 10.7.5 and 10.8

nkalister
Valued Contributor

Hello, jamf nation . . . I've been happily using an MCX setting to enforce the password prompt when machines come out of the screensaver through 10.7.4, but it appears that the current dev build of 10.7.5 and retail 10.8 no longer respond to that setting.
Has anyone found a way of turning that setting on and not allowing users to turn it off on those OS revisions? Is this possible to set with a configuration profile?

The MCX I currently use:

Domain: com.apple.screensaver
Key Name: AskForPassword
Key Type: integer
Applied as: User Level Enforced
Value: 1

Edit: forgot to mention that this only applies to machines imaged with 10.7.5 and 10.8. Machines that have had this MCX set on a previous OS rev like 10.7.3 that are then upgraded to 10.8. or 10.7.5 do continue to have the checkbox greyed out. Weird!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nessts
Valued Contributor II

I did a custom profile setting on 10.8 in com.apple.screensaver
askForPassword 1
askForPasswordDelay 0 tokenRemovalAction 0

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

My advice is to avoid MCX in 10.7 and 10.8 and use configuration profiles for everything. MCX is less reliable in its enforcement (in my experience) and will probably be gone in the next OS release (or soon after).

Anything you can set with MCX can be set with a configuration profile, even if it is not an option in Profile Manager. You can set custom keys using the last option (that is how I created my profile, with a similar setting).

nkalister
Valued Contributor

thanks alex- setting this through a custom key in a config profile gives the greyed-out checkbox my security people know and love? just setting it isn't enough, I need the users to be unable to change it.
Also, did you create your profile in profile manager or on the JSS?

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I though it was just me. Since upgrading our server to 10.7.4 the screensaver didn't activate like it did previous every 15 minutes. In the end I set a launch agent to run a script to activate it every hour, but weirdly seems to activate every 10 minutes now lol!

nessts
Valued Contributor II

I did a custom profile setting on 10.8 in com.apple.screensaver
askForPassword 1
askForPasswordDelay 0 tokenRemovalAction 0

nessts
Valued Contributor II

@tkimpton did you do 600 or 3600 in your interval on the launchdaemon? its seconds not minutes.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

thanks, everyone- the profile appears to be working almost as expected. on some machines, though, the screensaver password prompt option is greyed out but UN-checked. Any ideas?

nkalister
Valued Contributor

bumpity

acdesigntech
Contributor II

i've noticed that custom config profiles created with the JSS, at the one to suppress the iCloud prompt, are keyed to the OS version they are created on. My LastSeenCloudVersionKey was 10.8.

Once I upgraded my test box to 10.8.1, that profile stopped working. Moving it back to an MCX got it working again. I did not test changing the key to 10.8.1, nor do I care if that does actually fix it -- i'm not about to edit and upload new plists every time apple updates their damn software.

I do like the "greyed out" feature that config profiles give you though, not letting settings be changed, even if only for that login session, is REALLY nice. But MCX CAN'T die... please? Either that or fix your config profiles Apple/JAMF!

jarednichols
Honored Contributor
I do like the "greyed out" feature that config profiles give you though

Are your MCXs not greying things out? They should be if you're not doing "at next login only" settings.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

they aren't, and I don't get the option to set them as "system/user level enforced" unless i create them from a template.

tpeterson
New Contributor

Anyone have any luck setting a custom profile by uploading a plist to set the screen saver to require a password at 15 min after sleep or screen saver begins. We are moving away from all of our mcx records and need to set our staff machines to require a password. Where do I find the plist on a 10.8.4 machine after I have this set?

talkingmoose

Why are you getting away from MCX? It still works in Mountain Lion.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Teresa,

I had the sleep part working, the issue I think is that the configuration profile is not controlling the sleep setting the same as MCX/plist. You can still use parts of the MCX/plist to some setting but not all.

I think this doc will get you going

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html

LVISDJShip
New Contributor

This is a noob question but how does one write a custom configuration profile?

Thanks,
James Shipman

taugust04
Valued Contributor

@acsdesigntech:

Once I upgraded my test box to 10.8.1, that profile stopped working. Moving it back to an MCX got it working again. I did not test changing the key to 10.8.1, nor do I care if that does actually fix it -- i'm not about to edit and upload new plists every time apple updates their damn software.

I believe this key is OS X version specific. I was managing this key using Managed Preferences on Casper, and I need to update whenever a new version of OS X is released. If your managing MCX from an OS X Server box, I believe this key gets updated automatically when you update your server. Could be wrong on that though, just going by limited testing... it's definitely one of the more oddly behaving property list/MCX files out there in Mountain Lion...

talkingmoose

@LVISDJShip

Custom profiles contain just the keys and values you'd find in an application's normal plist preference file with the values set to your own choosing.

For example, the Finder has a preference to show or hide all filename extensions (Finder menu --> Preferences... --> Advanced). If you want to manage that specific preference you can do the following:

1. Identify the Finder's preference file, which is ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.
  2. Locate the specific key that controls this preference. I use TextWrangler to compare plists created before my change to plists created after my change to help me find the correct keys.
  3. Make a copy of the plist file with your preferred settings and delete all keys/values except for your own changes. Keep the plist header information. It should look something like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>AppleShowAllExtensions</key>
    <true/>
</plist>
  1. Save this copy of the file and import it into the profile.
  2. Scope the profile to users or computers.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

I haven't edited that mcx since 10.8.0. Deploying 10.8.2 now and its still working fine. Apple has a ways to go with config profiles before they're up to snuff for os x.