Script to check for app and delete

mmartinez
New Contributor

Hello Nation,

Im new to scripting and need help find the right path to "lookup" an app on the computer and if found to delete it. If the app is not installed to just echo back with a " app not found"

Does someone here have an idea?

Thanks!

Marc

4 REPLIES 4

Sims_
Contributor

You can skip the scripting all together and just add the app to your restricted software in the JSS.

EX: Goole Chrome or Google Chrome.app.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@mmartinez We use the following, inspired by @talkingmoose, as part of our Self Service "Remove {App}" polices:

#!/bin/sh
####################################################################################################
#
# ABOUT
#
#   Removes application passed as Parameter 5. (Used prior to installing updated application.)
#
#   See: https://github.com/talkingmoose/Jamf-Management-Templates/wiki/Baseline-Mozilla-Firefox
#
####################################################################################################
#
# HISTORY
#
#   Version 1.0, 26-Oct-2017, Dan K. Snelson
#

# Variables
authorizationKey="$4"
applicationPath="$5"

# Check for a specified value in Parameter 4
if [[ "$authorizationKey" != "j4fUE61hjOBijRZ9GeNNyT" ]]; then

echo "Error: Incorrect Authorization Key; exiting."

exit 1

fi

# If Parameter 5 is blank, exit ...
if [[ -z "${applicationPath}" ]]; then

echo "Application Path not specified; exiting."

exit 1

fi

# Check if the specified application is installed ...
testDirectory="/Applications/${applicationPath}"
if [ -d "${testDirectory}" ] ; then

echo "/Applications/${applicationPath} located; proceeding ..."

echo "Removing /Applications/${applicationPath} ..."

/bin/rm -Rf "/Applications/${applicationPath}"

echo "Removed /Applications/${applicationPath}."

exit 0

else

echo "/Applications/${applicationPath} NOT found; nothing to remove."

exit 0

fi

exit 0

mschroder
Valued Contributor

@dan-snelson: I wonder what is the reason for checking the authorizationKey? The script should be triggeredand sent from a policy, so it's coming from an authenticated MDM, so what is the benefit of the authorizationKey?

The check whether parameter 5 has a value is indeed very important, removing all of /Applications is certainly not appreciated by the user ;)

I usually also try to clean /Library and remove receipts in case they exist. 'Suspicious Package' is an excellent tool to show where a package puts stuff.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@mschroder My apologies, I neglected to include a reference to Authorization Key for scripts executed via Casper Remote.