Script works locally but not via Policy

peter_murphy
New Contributor

A very simple script to add the Movies folder to the sidebar upon login does not work even though the policy logs return a completed status.

#!/bin/zsh
#
# Add the logged in user's "Movies" folder to the Finder Sidebar

# Get the HOME value for the user that's logging in;
# The username is passed as script argument 3
HOMEDIR=$(sudo -u $3 echo $HOME)

# Use the `mysides` command to add the alias/shortcut
/usr/local/bin/mysides add Movies file:///$HOMEDIR/Movies

Mysides is installed on the client via Policy and various iterations of the script "work" according to the logs but the folder does not actually append to the sidebar unless it is executed locally. Very curious where the hangup may be in Jamf...

5 REPLIES 5

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

When you say locally, do you mean the current logged in user runs the commands?

If it is, then the policy is running the command as root, and the locally is running the command as the current user. Try setting the last line to sudo $3 in the front of it, to run the line as the logged in user...

sudo -u $3 /usr/local/bin/mysides add Movies file:///$HOMEDIR/Movies

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Although mysides is not guaranteed to work any longer you should try to use this:

#!/bin/zsh

loggedInUser=$( echo "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | /usr/sbin/scutil | /usr/bin/awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )
loggedInUserHome=$(/usr/bin/dscl . -read "/users/$loggedInUser" NFSHomeDirectory | cut -d " " -f 2)

if [[ -n "$loggedInUser" ]]; then
    if [[ -n "$loggedInUserHome" ]]; then
        echo "Adding Movies to $loggedInUser's Finder Sidebar..."
        /usr/local/bin/mysides add Movies "file:///$loggedInUserHome/Movies"
    else
        echo "Error: Could not determine $loggedInUser's home folder."
        exit 1
    fi
else
    echo "Nobody is logged in; skipping."
fi

exit 0

peter_murphy
New Contributor

@PaulHazelden sorry I forgot to mention that I've tried that iteration already to no avail.

@ryan.ball no luck with that script.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@user-VrNMiDTLrF I don't think it is the script syntax is causing you the issue. I think that mysides is not supported with later macOS versions like I mentioned initially. Check out the issues created on the mysides github.

peter_murphy
New Contributor

@ryan.ball Yeah, with that in mind I'm going to try deploying a LaunchAgent instead. Thanks for your help.