Search for devices by Device ID?

johntgeck
Contributor

Hi everyone!

I'm working with another admin trying to clear up some database issues and one of the suggestions is to try to resolve some issues with stuck commands on a bunch of devices. The MySQL database output only gives us the "device_id" field as a unique identifier. But I can't seem to use that in the device search, as all of our devices have apparently blank fields for that. Is this a bug? Something we didn't implement correctly when adding the devices to Jamf?
66568055b9b74c89ac201df26548de40

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SubhiHashwa
New Contributor III

You can use the API or the URL [My device ID is 1011] [like https://XXXXXXX.jamfcloud.com/mobileDevices.html?id=1011&o=r ] , the device ID is never displayed in the search result as a field.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not sure that's the correct field for what you may be after. Unless I'm mistaken, I think the field you want has been called "JSS Mobile Device ID" (for mobile devices) for some time now. Maybe it changed in a very recent update though. But that field will give you a unique numeric value for each device enrolled in your Jamf server, which is likely what the MySQL db is referencing.
I don't know exactly what Device ID is referring to for mobile devices.

SubhiHashwa
New Contributor III

You can use the API or the URL [My device ID is 1011] [like https://XXXXXXX.jamfcloud.com/mobileDevices.html?id=1011&o=r ] , the device ID is never displayed in the search result as a field.

I just realized I never looked back at this thread! Yes this was what we ended up doing.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

I see the same blank info. It seems like a bug to me. You could send a message to Jamf Support and ask them if they agree

epomelow
New Contributor III

I'm actually working on the same issue at the moment too, trying to clean up several device errors in my logs. To search by JAMF ID, I just create a new advanced search (don't save it) and then use jamf computer id is #### as the criteria. A few extra clicks, but it got the job done.