Self Service app issue....

RWitt
New Contributor II

We are using the layered model and originally installed an app using a building id. We had them delete this as we made the newer app available via self service and want the user to take ownership of self service apps. How long should it be taking after the user deletes an app before it shows back up in self service for download?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Depends on how you've set things up. If the Scope for the Self Service install is using a Smart Group for any Macs that don't have the application, then the Macs will need to submit inventory, either manually or on its regular schedule before anything will change. Once the JSS sees they no longer have that app installed, they should land back in that Smart Group.
Another consideration is, are the original install policy and the new one unique, or is the new SS policy just the original one modified to be a Self Service one? If its the latter, and you had it set to Once per Computer, you'll have to flush the policy logs for those Macs in the policy or they will never see it show up again. If on the other hand you created a new policy for the Self Service one, the JSS will see it as unique and not care about the install status of the original. However, the possible Smart Group/inventory issue may still apply. Does that make sense?

RWitt
New Contributor II

It does. I forgot to mention that it was for iOS, but your reasoning should be the same. The only issue is that it is taking over 30 minutes and the app still doesn't come back. I need to run a couple tests though based on the info you gave me and see if that helps.

Thanks

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Ah, for iOS, all of the same would not apply. Smart Group membership will affect it., but there is no policy log to flush in that case. Typically iOS devices only check in with inventory once a day, but you can force individual ones to check in and submit new inventory. There is no way to do this en masse from what I know, but if the group of devices isn't too large, you could go into each device's details record and have it check in again through the APNs.