Self Service App will not connect to server on newly assigned iPads

mirandas
New Contributor II

Self Service App on iPads will not connect to server on newly assigned iPads. One of the following messages appear:

1. Unable to connect to the server even though there is a working network connection.
  2. Welcome to Self Service Mobile Self Service Mobile is a component of the Casper Suite, developed by JAMF Software. This app must be associated with a JAMF Software Server. Contact your IT administrator for information.
11 REPLIES 11

jgwatson
Contributor

Have you configured the app correctly in the JSS?

alevinstein
New Contributor

Here as well. Same issue. Even upgraded to 9.82 to see if this would be corrected...

Using this config:

<dict>
<key>INVITATION_STRING</key>
<string>$MOBILEDEVICEAPPINVITE</string>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<string>$SERIALNUMBER</string>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<string>$DEVICENAME</string>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<string>$MACADDRESS</string>
<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string> <key>JSS_URL</key> <string>https://myserver'saddress:8443/</string>
</dict>

VCHS
New Contributor II

Have you tried using the auto-install feature found in Settings (gear), Mobile Device Management, Self Service? Or are you trying to skip the use of Apple IDs? If you are running on hosted services then the URL is slightly different, just use the URL without the port number.

Here is the link to the "Manually Deploying Self Service Mobile for iOS" article:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=370

mirandas
New Contributor II

I configured the app and used the string config above. I have also chosen auto install. I no longer get the statement to Contact your IT administrator for information.

BUT any recently assigned iPads will not connect. They say "Unable to connect to the server."

AND I have one iPad that connects into self service but will not install apps when clicked on. The wheel keeps spinning and never loads app. When I check on them under the profile, all commands are pending.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

@mirandas Is that one iPad that won't install apps running iOS 9.2? That could be the issue. iOS 9.2 issues

mirandas
New Contributor II

@Nick_Gooch, yes 9.2.

I spoke with JAMF support...looks like it is an issue with 9.2. I am submitting a ticket through apple. Hopefully they fix it quickly.

Thanks.

mirandas
New Contributor II

One more interesting note....

This is only happening on Generation 2 iPads. I have several iPad Airs that I just assigned that are running on 9.2 and are not having any issues downloading pushed apps. However, it will not connect to self service app.

nelsonpark
New Contributor III

hmm me too...
ios 9.2.1 and jss 9.82
unable to connect to server
might have to log a job with jamf firstly, any news on this @mirandas ?
Conor

RLR
Valued Contributor

Is this the same issue as: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=18586

Seems you can possibly fix this issue with updating ciphers.

joyceli
New Contributor

We had the same issue after updating iOS 9.2.So I contacted the technician from JSS and he helped us to fix it fairly by adding the new ciphers to the server.xml.We also make Java to be updated to the date.
Now everything is OK.

luke_nikunen
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I had this issue, and changed the ciphers myself which fixed the problem, but it also blew apart my SSL cert in the server. After contacting my TAM and getting my SSL back in place I was bumped up to an engineer who gave me a tool to "inject" the ciphers into my server.xml without blowing my SSL apart in the process. I think contacting support on this is the safe option.