Self service assistance

Dan1987
New Contributor III

Hey,

We are about to roll out Self service to our company but have a few minor tweaks we would like to address before we do.

When we open Self service, it shows all the packages and policies as we would like, however we have the following issue:
All packages show "install" and if the user clicks the button, it does indeed install, however it installs the fresh install and actually removes all configurations set.
For example, we have MS office and this requires us to setup outlook again. Dropbox is another example too.

So, my question is...
Is there any way to configure self service to scan the currently installed software and do one of 2 things.
1 - Only show applications that are not currently installed.
2 - Show the option to "reinstall" not "install" with a warning message to the users.

This is only a minor issue but it would help us to prevent users from clicking install by mistake and giving unnecessary work to our IT support department.

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Joeborner
New Contributor II

Hi Gregzy,
There's two options I can think of:
1. You can set policies to be once per machine, this means that once installed via Jamf they will not show up in self service. This will only be useful for machines built and managed by Jamf as it may not know of previous software.
2. Alternatively make a smart group for the app and scope out two policies, one for "App currently installed" which allows a reinstall, and another for "App not installed" which allows a base install. The benefit of this means if a user installed the software manually, a recon will find the app and put them in the correct group.

Thanks,
Joe
MacSeven

sbirdsley
Contributor

I would lean to smart group would be your best option. I know in our environment we have setup two groups an app-install-smart (used for self service) and an app-update-smart (used to push/scope updates)

The install smart group is scoped to:
Application Title > has > appname.app and Application Version > is not > latest version
or Application Title > does not have > appname.app
With the above setup in self service if the user doesn't t have the software or the latest version we want it installed it will show in Self Service and if they have it installed and its that version they see nothing

The update smart group is set to:
Application Title > has > appname.app and Application Version > is not > latest version
This is used to scope to roll out update policies as it will only install to the systems that already have