Self Service Dock Item in Configuration Profile

stibebu
New Contributor II

I'd like to add the Self-Service icon to my users Dock's by default since we will be using this pretty heavily. I can add the Dock Item to Casper Admin, and create a policy to deploy it, and it does work. What I'd like to do however, is to deploy this through Configuration Profiles instead of by Policy. My main reason for this is simply for the instantaneuous addition of the dock item as soon as the device is enrolled.

When I go into the Dock section of the Configuration Profile and add an Application, Self Service is not on the list.

Any ideas or help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I use dockutil to configure my user's docks, works great with selfservice. You can use it to setup the default user template's dock, so you get the same effect as using a configuration profile but with more control.
https://github.com/kcrawford/dockutil

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

ewettach
New Contributor III

I would love to know how this can be accomplished as well. I figured out how to add to the list of preference pane items, but not apps.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I use dockutil to configure my user's docks, works great with selfservice. You can use it to setup the default user template's dock, so you get the same effect as using a configuration profile but with more control.
https://github.com/kcrawford/dockutil

stibebu
New Contributor II

nkalister. Not sure I will use that utility, but it's definitely a solution. Thanks!

Matthew_Ramsay
New Contributor III

Any progress on this issue? Is there a prescribed method to add non-Apple dock items via Configuration Policy that someone could share?

listec
New Contributor III

6 years later and Self Service still isn't an option?

nvandam
Contributor II

You can add whatever you want to the dock, so long as you know the path. It's not a profile though, so the user could still change it 28c05a9b17bb44e7853ada6732335eb6

sfaeder
New Contributor III

For some reason, this is not working for me. I have verified the file path and application name, but nothing appears on the dock. Any suggestions?

bebf80dec3bc42ae90f7194b9e88a400

pkleiber
Contributor

Hi @sfaeder you have to fill the spaces in the path with %20
For Example:
file://localhost/Applications/CompanyName%20IT%20Self%20Service.app
Then it should work.

michael_deagoni
New Contributor

Hi. How would you add a user's Documents and Download folders to the Dock?

sfaeder
New Contributor III
Hi @sfaeder you have to fill the spaces in the path with %20 For Example: file://localhost/Applications/CompanyName%20IT%20Self%20Service.app Then it should work.

Hi @pkleiber , unfortunately that did not seem to work either. Could this possibly be an issue with Big Sur?

pkleiber
Contributor

Hi @sfaeder so I did the following. Dragged Self Service to my dock on my machine. Then opened Jamf Admin then clicked on Add Dock Item and choose the self service app. It will generate the following entry in Computer Management / Dock Items:
PATH: file:///Applications/Company%20Self%20Service.app/
I tested it on a test machine, but it is not working under Big Sur.

pkleiber
Contributor

So tested again, sometimes I get an error, sometimes it works with the Jamf Admin method and the path
file:///Applications/Company%20Self%20Service.app/
Very strange :/

pkleiber
Contributor

Hi @michael.deagonia I think for this you should take a look at dockutil

kgam
Contributor

We're using the following string in Dock Items and it works fine but it was difficult finding a consistent pattern which worked. Still can't move System Preferences for example.

file://localhost/Applications/Self Service.app/

jordan_m1
New Contributor III

file:///Applications/Self Service.app/ has been working for me. I have that set in Computer Management -> Dock Items. For the Policy it's Dock Items -> Self Service set to Add to Beginning of Dock.