Self Service not working after upgrade to 9.4

Aaron
Contributor II

Hi All,

A little background:

I'm in the process of upgrading our Casper Suite from 8.73 to 9.4. I've set up a second server running Linux (lets call this macmanage02) and installed everything fine, starting with 8.73. I restored the database from my old server (macmanage01), tweaked everything to make macmanage02 as the reporting server, while keeping macmanage01 as the distribution point. Enrolled a Mac to the new server, and everything looks good - client is reporting to the correct server, Self Service still runs, all good (everyone else is still reporting to macmanage01 until my testing is complete).

I then upgraded to 9.4, process was pretty simple. I have an opinion about the new layout, but anyway...

Client checks in fine, has downloaded the 9.4 jamf binary, but when I try to run the Self Service, it just bounces at me, and then eventually just sits there without actually showing the Self Service window. I can see the app has been updated, because the icon is now a round icon as opposed to the square one. I have to force quit it before I can try again. I tried running it from terminal to see if it says anything, but it just says

2014-09-11 17:40:57.566 Self Service[56664:507] Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_4) AppleWebKit/537.77.4 (KHTML, like Gecko)

and that's it.

I haven't tried re-enrolling via the QuickAdd package yet, but I'd like to avoid this is at all possible because I don't want to have to do that for all the clients. Does anyone have any idea what's going on, or a direction you could point me in to find more info?

13 REPLIES 13

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

We have the same issue in production. A handful of users are working fine but most have this issue. Looking in JAMFApplications.log we see

<com.jamfsoftware.selfservice>: Loading webpage "(null)"
<com.jamfsoftware.selfservice>: Adding Plugin: Casper
and all the rest of the plugins below that.

Interestingly logging into the admin account on the machine self service loads and runs policies fine.

Havn't had a chance to call support yet.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Delete the self service app's cache in ~/Library/Caches/

Aaron
Contributor II

Read about deleting the cache after I went home last night. However, that doesn't seem to have fixed it.

I've also read about how people are having various issues with Self Service, but mostly in regards to display. Should I move down to 9.3 and see how I go? I've only got 1 client on a 9.4 test server, so I have that liberty.

I also get this a few times in the logs. I didn't think it was related at the time, but it always shows up as I run Self Service:

12/09/2014 9:36:24.674 am xpcd[995]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

Not sure what it means.

Aaron
Contributor II

So, I redid everything and only upgraded to 9.32 - Self Service icon reverted back to its square one, but it runs, and I can see it's a 9.32 binary. So it looks like 9.4 is quite broken. Still got some more testing after the upgrade to do, but this is the main thing as I rely on Self Service for my clients quite a bit.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Deleting the Cache didn't help here either. Even removed the framework and re-enrolled with the same bouncing self service.

Graves
New Contributor

Same problem here, but this is only happening to two different users so far. One is on OS X 10.9.3 and one is on OS X 10.9.4. Casper is on 9.4, but if I sign in as the local administrator account, I can open Self Service without any issues.

I tried deleting the cache, deleting the application, and even re-enrolled the computer, but the issue still happens while signed in as their accounts.

Aaron
Contributor II

@Nick_Gooch]/[~Graves - don't suppose you guys have tried this with the recent 9.5 patch?

Xenophontos
New Contributor II

Just upgraded from 9.32 -> 9.52 - self service still broken - just bounces, eventually sits there without starting and have to force quit.

3/10/2014 12:32:09.529 pm Self Service[1647]: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_5) AppleWebKit/537.78.2 (KHTML, like Gecko)
3/10/2014 12:33:14.862 pm com.apple.launchd.peruser.80985934[845]: (com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.41040[1647]) Exited: Terminated: 15

This seems to affect only AD users with a space in their username

Tried all of the above without success, Seriously considering rolling back to 9.32

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Ours is also still broken.

I think you are correct with the space in the username part. That's why it's working for our admin account. Not sure why it matters? We don't have users log into self service.

Aaron
Contributor II

Well that makes sense. Everyone here has accounts using the "surname firstname" format, with a space. Makes scripting fun from time to time, but I've never had a huge issue with it.

joyceli
New Contributor

We got this problem yesterday,only 1 client.
And I have already upgraded to 9.5.2,and the client OS is Mac OS X 10.9.3.
I have tried deleting users in JSS ,deleting self service ,re-install quick.pkg and using another AD account to enroll,still not work.
Does anyone can help us?

Aaron
Contributor II

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm just wondering if you guys have tried this in 9.6. I want to upgrade for Yosemite support, but I don't have easy access to a test server right now. It's a pretty big show stopper for me.

Aaron
Contributor II

Nevermind, I just noticed this in the latest release notes:

[D-007815] Fixed an issue that prevented Self Service for OS X from being opened when a user is
logged into the computer with their Active Directory (AD) credentials and their username contains a
space.