Self Service notifications set to ALERTS instead of BANNERS, how to change it?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I noticed that when a Self Service policy runs that the notification stays until the user dismisses it. I see this on both Catalina and Big Sur (haven't checked Mojave). I've attached a couple images.

I checked the system preferences --> notifications; and noticed that the Self Service is set to ALERTS (Alerts stay on screen until dismissed) and the ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS FROM SELF SERVICE toggle switch doesn't let me switch it over to NONE or BANNERS. All the other notification applications in the list are set to BANNERS and I can toggle them ON/OFF.

is it possible to change the SELF SERVICE notifications from ALERTS to BANNERS? I'd rather have them set to BANNERS so they disappear on their own.

BANNERS = appear in the the upper right corner and go away automatically.

ALERTS = stay on the screen until dismissed.

e549117170204ab9b4249e648490bb06

cc1f4982a5b1424baa3195eae871305d

12 REPLIES 12

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Jamf Pro pushes down the Notification profile for Self Service and Management Actions with Alert type set to Alert. Since Jamf added the Notification payload to Configuration Profiles as of 10.27, you could build your on and turn off automatically installing the default Jamf Notification profile. Just uncheck Jamf Management framework and Self Service in Settings -> Computer Management Framework -> Security:

346054ec02e84144b4c00c4babee70c0

And then create your own Notification Profile for both Self Service and the Management frameworks. It looks like the Identifiers are com.jamfsoftware.Management-Action and com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac

(FYI - I haven't tested this, but it should work.)

Cranappras
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Personally, I'm thrilled that they finally made them alerts, as the banner notifications were causing frustration with my users over missed patch notifications, especially when the deadline is hit. That said, I do agree that the notification type should be a setting in Jamf Pro that admins can manage for themselves and then determine what works best for their own environment.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@Cranappras @RBlount I just checked a macOS Mojave system and the Self Service notifications are set to BANNERS. I ran a self service policy and the notification popped up and then automatically disappeared. WAY BETTER.

@RBlount i'll check out your suggestions. Hopefully i can apply it to a SITE and not the whole inventory/sites here.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Now that Jamf pushes a native profile for Self Service and the Management frameworks, I now have two - one that I pushed (banners) and one pushed by Jamf (alerts). Which takes precedence?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jtrant As they say in Ghostbusters - Don't cross the streams

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Agreed, I'll look towards un-scoping the native Jamf profile as banners would be our preference.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

I believe the behavior is officially "undefined", but since the profiles are translated into .plists in /Library/Managed Preferences I suspect it is essentially last one processed wins.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@jtrant hey whats your config profile for self service and management frameworks to have notifications popup as banners look like?

Did you uncheck Jamf Management framework and Self Service in Settings -> Computer Management Framework -> Security?

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Hi @tcandela, it's identical to Jamf's except the notification type is 'Banners' instead of 'Alerts'. I did not un-check the Jamf Management Framework option and on my clients, Self Service and the Management framework are configured twice. I'm not sure what is taking precedence and have asked Jamf Support if they can clarify.

We've had this in place since before Jamf's management framework had the option for a native profile, so while it's not causing any issues, I'd like to clean things up.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

If you are pushing your own Notification profiles down, you should be fine to go ahead and uncheck the Jamf Management Framework option. As others said, having two profiles that have conflicting settings can lead to unexpected results.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

For sure, that's what I plan to do. Could anyone advise on the bundle identifier com.management.jamf.Jamf? I have this included in my own profile and I think it relates to an older version of the Jamf binary (before Jamf officially supported macOS Catalina). Jamf's own native profile includes com.jamfsoftware.Management-Action but not the bundle ID above.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @tcandela!

fredrik_virding
Contributor

Hi,

Also seen some with this on Monterey. Anyone got them working on Monterey properly?