Self Service Reinstall?

musat
Contributor III

Every once in a while we run across a computer that gives an error when launching Self Service. Either an exception fault, or have gotten some that say that Self Service doesn't work with this version of OS X. We have tried just deleting the Self Service.app from the Applications folder and then running a recon, thinking that it would just reinstall the app, but it doesn't. So far the only way we have gotten the app to reinstall is to removeframework and re-enroll.

Is there a better method for reinstalling the Self Service app?

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Ok, looks like its triggered by next regular check in for policies. All I had to do was run a sudo jamf policy -trigger every30 (translate that for vers 9 and your JSS if need be) Its not from a specific policy. It seems the jamf binary looks to see if Self Service is present and just re-installs it if its not there. Its actually part of the normal "upgrade" piece. What shows up in the jamf log when it happens in my case is simply "Upgrading Self Service.app..."

HTH

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270

If your JSS Management framework is set to install Self Service on all enrolled Macs, then in my experience you should only need to do a sudo jamf manage on the Mac after deleting the Self Service.app. It might be best to first recon the Mac to the JSS, then do a jamf manage, but it should pull down the app again.

Try that and see if it works. If not, post back.

musat
Contributor III

Thanks, we've never tried the `jamf manage` command. I'll give that a shot and see if that does the trick.

mm2270

Meh, I may be wrong. I just ran some tests on a managed Mac here and its not pulling the app down after deleting it, recon'ing it and doing the jamf manage command. Tried a few times. Let me dig a little, because I know we don't have to do anything for the app to re-install itself, but its possible we have a policy doing that which I'm just not recalling now.

mm2270

Ok, looks like its triggered by next regular check in for policies. All I had to do was run a sudo jamf policy -trigger every30 (translate that for vers 9 and your JSS if need be) Its not from a specific policy. It seems the jamf binary looks to see if Self Service is present and just re-installs it if its not there. Its actually part of the normal "upgrade" piece. What shows up in the jamf log when it happens in my case is simply "Upgrading Self Service.app..."

HTH

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

If the policy is once per computer, you may need to look through the logs for that policy and flush that computer's log entry so it'll run the policy again whenever that trigger runs again.

mm2270

@emilykausalik - That is true if you're manually installing Self Service from a policy. I'm guessing you are since you have a branded version of the SS application. OTOH, If you have the option enabled in the Management Framework to install it, it seems it just requires the Mac to do a regular check in and it gets installed again if its not there. Not sure why the jamf manage command wasn't enough though. I had to do sudo jamf policy -trigger every30 in my case. We don't have a policy enabled to install it. The jamf binary seems to take care of "upgrading" the app to whatever version is on the server.

musat
Contributor III

Yeah, I tested it out just before I left yesterday. For me, all I needed to do was `sudo jamf policy` to get it to start the 15 minute checking process.

We also are just using the option in the Management Framework to install Self Service without any customizations. This command did exactly what we needed.