Self Service Update All

ekkehard
Contributor
6 REPLIES 6

SeanA
Contributor III

@ekkehard Can you provide more context behind your request?

lkrasno
Contributor II

Sounds like this might already be in the works per 2014 Keynote

Myself I'm curious if there are any dates around the release ? ? ?

For now, one viable solution is : Autopkgr+JSSimporter+custom triggers (see https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10187)

scottb
Honored Contributor

I'd not want an update all per se, but how about an "update group" functionality?
So you could create a category like you do now, but have an option to "choose all" from the category.
Or, tick boxes for each entry in a category to install at one time.
Agree that it could be better in this regard.

ekkehard
Contributor

Same as the update all feature on the Apple App store.3ca94aedc3e3440a840a6cc6e5e3b65d

lkrasno
Contributor II

I'm not certain which switch is ran via JSS Software Update option, but you could use

softwareupdate -i -r

As part of a policy with the Files and Processes option to EXECUTE COMMAND

and add to self service

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I get the nature of this request, but its important to keep in mind that the Self Service.app is more than just for installing or updating software. Since its really a policy runner, the available or scoped policies could range from updating a piece of software to flushing system or font caches, deleting printers, installing Configuration Profiles, make me an admin for 30 minutes, and much more. Just take a look at any of the show off your Self Service threads here and you'll see a very diverse use for the application, not just for installing a software title. Contrast this with the iOS app Store, which is really just for installing apps, and the Mac App Store, which is for installing/updating apps and System software. So in actuality, Self Service is more versatile than either of the other products (in that regard at least)

I agree with @boettchs that I wouldn't want a button that just ran all policies in scope for the above reason. But I think he also has the right idea. Either a built-in category that you can place policies into, or a checkbox per policy, to make them appear in a category that then has a "Run All" button on it might be nice.

Oddly enough, this was more of less the idea and motive behind my Feature Request here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1968 Basically, I wanted a simple way to know which policies were in scope for a Mac via the binary or the API so I could build a multi policy run function. Something that would let you run several policies in succession.