Set Default Page Size for Google Chrome

jriv
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm pulling Chrome updates through autopkg and lately, there has been quite a few. I've also noticed that everytime there is an update, our default pape rsize in the Google Chrome print dialog resets to A4. We only use Letter size. Since paper size is not immediately available (you have to click on "More settings" to see it), most of my users miss it and end up holding the printer up because it produces an error.

I've set default paper size for the system through Printers and Scanners preferences but Chrome seems to ignore this. Is there a way to set default paper size for Google Chrome using a flag or command line (defaults)? Also, I know I can disable the Google Chrome print dialog but I'd rather just set the paper size if it's possible.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

analog_kid
Contributor

Hi jriv,

We solved this in our labs by deploying a config profile that forces Chrome to use the OS's print dialog box. We implemented this back around Chrome v37 so there might be a better/different way to do this but FWIW, here's what we did:

Create a computer-level profile with a Custom Settings payload.
Preference Domain: com.google.Chrome
DisablePrintPreview=true

--Ben

jriv
New Contributor III

Thanks, @analog_kid. I'm really hoping that there is a way to just set the paper size. If there isn't, then I think I will have to disable the print dialog/print preview.

EliasG
Contributor

@analog_kid where did you add the disable print line? Do you have a screenshot of the config?

Thanks

analog_kid
Contributor

@EliasG You create a com.google.Chrome plist with the setting in question:

defaults write ~/Downloads/com.googleChrome DisablePrintPreview -bool TRUE

Then you upload it from your Downloads folder to Jamf Pro with the Custom Settings payload as I mentioned in my previous post.

--Ben

bfrench
Contributor III

Looking at implementing this solution. Are there any downsides to this? Does it have to be reset when Chrome updates?