Setup Assistant fails to complete

michael_madsen
New Contributor III

I have noticed that recently when a mac has been wiped and made ready for another user, that during initial setup, the Setup Assistant fails to go through the user creation step.

This leaves the Mac at the login screen, but since you never created a user, there is nothing you can do from there.

Does anyone else experience this?

By the way, this doesn't happen every time. But maybe 50% of the time.

3 REPLIES 3

Fluffy
Contributor III

What are the device models and the os version? Do you have any settings for automatic account creation?

We have ours set to automatically create a local admin account, but skip the Setup Assistant page for account creation (we use an AD). Although, all M1 MacBooks (shipped with 11.2.3) that we purchased from Apple that I set up had a bug where Setup Assistant skipped everything. The admin account was still created, but the Location Services screen was skipped, making me log in and turn it on manually.

Reinstalling macOS 11.4 seemed to fix that bug. Whether it was the version or just a weird thing from the warehouse I don't know. I had mentioned this to Jamf support and they said it was a known bug in Big Sur, where if any step in Setup Assistant is skipped, it skips all instead. Interestingly, this isn't always as I haven't encountered it since.

Hopefully this is somehow helpful.

michael_madsen
New Contributor III

The machine I just experienced this with is a Macbook Pro, 13" 2019, intel i5

We do create a local admin, but then rely on employee to create their own local user.

macOS is Big Sur 11.6

I was just reinstalling the mac with this command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --eraseinstall --passprompt

Fluffy
Contributor III

Interesting. I would suppose if it only skips account creation, that would explain why I haven't had any difficulties with setup. But it seems you aren't alone. In case you haven't already seen this thread:

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/big-sur-laptops-skipping-account-creation-during-dep-enrollme...

Hopefully this gets resolved soon.