Smart group based on LDAP attribute isn't retroactively working

rahern
New Contributor III

We use one of the custom active directory attributes to designate if someone is a Student, Faculty or Staff. I created a smart group to look at that attribute, so I could have two lists, one list of all the student iPads, and one of all Faculty/Staff iPads. 

The two smart groups are working, but only with newly activated devices. For example, the faculty/staff smart group has 3 members in it, but all three were iPads that got set up in the past 3 days or so. The group SHOULD have something like 400 iPads in it though. Any idea why the group is only grabbing new iPads, and not all, with the attribute that I designated? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

awoodbury
Contributor
Contributor

@rahern I just came across this the other day. You will want to make sure "Collect user and location information from LDAP"  is checked for both Computers and Devices.

Settings > Computer Management - Management Framework > Inventory Collection > Check "Collect user and location information from LDAP"

Settings > Device Management > Inventory Collection > Check "Collect user and location information from LDAP"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

What is your inventory update frequency?  

Yes, this is also a factor too.

awoodbury
Contributor
Contributor

@rahern I just came across this the other day. You will want to make sure "Collect user and location information from LDAP"  is checked for both Computers and Devices.

Settings > Computer Management - Management Framework > Inventory Collection > Check "Collect user and location information from LDAP"

Settings > Device Management > Inventory Collection > Check "Collect user and location information from LDAP"

rahern
New Contributor III

That did it @awoodbury, thanks so much.

mickgrant
Contributor III

if this is a new LDAP attribute that is being pulled, it doesn't happen automatically.

but if you go to a device profile and edit the users and location section, and click search again it will update the LDAP data with any new fields. The device should now appear within your Smart Group
you can do this in bulk with JSSMUT if you update the username (by just rewriting the existing username over it again) it will pull the new LDAP fields on your previously enrolled devices