Smart group for Latest Version of Application

Vinyboy
New Contributor III

Hello All,

Can we create a Advance Search or a smart group to list of Not or Either latest version of an application.
Tried this combination but result null.
Application Title    has      Microsoft Outlook.app
and
Application Version    is not    Latest Version

Not sure where I'm doing wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jtrant
Valued Contributor

You'll need to add Microsoft Outlook as a Patch Management title, and use that in your smart group. "Application Version" expects a version number or regex.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 10.33.03 AM.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jtrant
Valued Contributor

You'll need to add Microsoft Outlook as a Patch Management title, and use that in your smart group. "Application Version" expects a version number or regex.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 10.33.03 AM.png

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I prefer regex for this.

Use the following script to help generate the regex:

https://gist.github.com/talkingmoose/2cf20236e665fcd7ec41311d50c89c0e

Then create a smart group like so:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 7.56.18 AM.png

Vinyboy
New Contributor III

Thank you, I will go through this too.

I've never seen this done. I might try this in a test enviroment for my new prestage I'm creating with JAMF Connect 2.27.0 being installed at enrollment. Then apply the smart group to push 2.29.0. This regex looks promising.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

@cbrewer- Sure, but what happens when Outlook gets updated? Using a Patch Management title will avoid having to change anything later down the line.

Regex is awesome, but really only when you have a target version in mind.

efil4xiN
Contributor II

If understated correctly, you should be able to let patch reporting work for you:

PatchReporting Outlook   less than  Latest Version is what we use, seems to work for our needs

jtrant
Valued Contributor

This is what I described above and in my screenshot, and works perfectly here too.