SMBHome Mount - Backend Change Has Broken Mount at Logon

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

We have a script that runs at login for all users that queries for the current logged in AD user and then finds their Home Folder network location listed in AD and mounts it the desktop. This was working fine until the backend shares had IP address and DNS changes applied. Now, the Home mount will not work. It does work manually if we do Server.DOMAIN.comHome but does not work using what was in place of ServerHome. It now needs that domain qualifier.

Using this command to get network home:

#Find their N drive server
server=`dscl . -read /Users/$user | grep SMBHome: | cut -d '' -f 3`

Does anyone know how to edit that to account for the domain now being required? I have not been able to find anything that makes it associate the network server holding the homeshares to the domain.
Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

In Active Directory, is the home folder path entered as serverhome or server.domain.comhome? We had some major AD changes here some time ago and we had to put the FQDN (server.domain.comhome) into the home folder path in AD.

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

In AD it is serverhome.

I asked if we could change to server.domain.comhome...

The AD team does not want to make any changes to that line as the Mac population is small and the windows population quite large and they fear consequences of such a change.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

ouch. Internal politics always gets in the way. Using the FQDN is actually the best option for everyone but there's no telling how the Windows machines are configured nor what future domain plans could be. We found that it helped our Windows PCs too with odd problems that popped up from time to time. Barring a change of heart of your AD team, i'm sure there is a way to insert .company.com into the string returned by your script. Unfortunately my scripting skills are lacking.