So who's in charge of the patch reporting versioning?

pchen_plaid
New Contributor II

How often does someone at JAMF check this and verify? Seems like they haven't done anything the past few weeks as new versions came out.

7 REPLIES 7

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Great question. The best place to ask would be at the session entitled "Patch Management: Behind the Scenes," which will be held at the Open Book coffee shop at 4:00PM today.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@pchen_plaid wrote:

How often does someone at JAMF check this and verify? Seems like they haven't done anything the past few weeks as new versions came out.

A couple points made at this presentation:

1. Need to be able to manage our own EAs. Using Spotlight for reporting is a concern, as managed apps are in specific paths, and some vendors take liberties with their paths (*$&/?@: Adobe). Installers install/update existing apps in expected paths. This feature can't be closed, else not very usable in enterprise. We need to be able to manage EAs.

2. Need to be able to define desired version. Enterprise is typically 1 or 2 versions behind. LATEST and greatest ain't gonna happen in enterprise given change controls that delay turnaround, and business reasons exist for not jumping on the latest version.

3. Scoping to AD/LDAP groups went away in v9, greatly impacting our ability to scope to business units. Having only ability to exclude is a problem.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

erin_miska
New Contributor III

@pchen_plaid We currently have a target response time of 48 hours, but we publish most updates within 24 hours. We understand the desire to speed this process up and are working on improving. We'll get there.

Is there a specific patch you're looking at that has not been posted within 48 hours?

pchen_plaid
New Contributor II

@erin.miska ATM I'm showing Firefox, Chrome, and Office all outdated. It doesn't matter much to me as I already update versions to the latest though. Low pri imo.

georgecm12
Contributor III

@pchen_plaid My JSS shows 15.27.16101000 as the most current for the Office apps, which appears to be correct.

Similarly, Chrome shows 54.0.2840.59, which is correct as well.

Could something be blocking the updates on your end?

pchen_plaid
New Contributor II

@georgecm12 weird I'm showing 15.26.16091000 and 53.0.2785.116, know what port this is being checked on?

pchen_plaid
New Contributor II

Actually @georgecm12 once I deleted the patch report the correct version showed up correctly...weird.