Sonoma, JAMF 11.2 and updates

MMTechno
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

i can for the life of me work out how to efficiently deploy updates to my devices. I have been testing with Sonoma 14.0 as a baseline and JAMF 11.2 in the lab.

What i want to achieve is deploy an update and allow the end user to defer it by a number of days. I have tested deploying an update and installing immediately and it works. 

In JAMF, Computers > Software Updates > i can target a group with the option : Download, install, and allow deferral

and i can specify a number. Apparently these are the deferrals i can allow the user. How do i specify the days i want the user to be able to defer? Do i need a config profile?

Is software updates solely from JAMF really achievable ? I think i am wasting my time here. Will Nudge or any other script help with that? I am at my wits end with how updates work on Macs.

Any insights would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

@MMTechno deferral means how many times they can defer it.  If you set it to 3, macOS should prompt them 3 times and on the 4th it will install the update.  This does work out to be days as the MDM command repeats every 24 hours.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

There is currently a bug in Jamf that is not expected to be fixed until after 11.3. Make sure you are telling the devices to install the latest available update and not specifying a version. Jamf bug aside, managing updates on macOS is a nightmare even with Declarative Device Management due to how poorly the workflow apple has designed functions. 

PI116287 "Scheduled Software Updates (DDM) using Specific Versions Does Not Work" 

MMTechno
New Contributor II

Thanks for letting me know. 

If i use the option to  Download, install, and allow deferral will i be able to use Nudge as well to point the user to the right direction ? I assume that deferral means days right?

Apart from that, do i need to deploy any configuration profiles to the devices for any other update settings?

You need super https://github.com/Macjutsu/super had some great sucess with it for major OSX upgrades Its what we will be using for our lab upgrades from Ventura to Sonoma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj26nuCH1jA

MMTechno
New Contributor II

Currently looking into that.

How easy / hard is for super to be set up?

Straightforward if you follow the wiki they provide

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

@MMTechno deferral means how many times they can defer it.  If you set it to 3, macOS should prompt them 3 times and on the 4th it will install the update.  This does work out to be days as the MDM command repeats every 24 hours.

MMTechno
New Contributor II

Thanks for clarifying that!

MMTechno
New Contributor II

Thanks for letting me know. Currently investigating what is the best method of doing this.. I guess i have 3 options.. Use the out of the box option in Jamf 11.2 or choose between Nudge and super