Spoolss Printing in Big Sur

tycollins
New Contributor

We currently use Windows Printing via Spools with papercut on our Mac machines. When upgrading to big sur from Catalina this completely breaks, when you try and print to the printer it immediately errors out without even a solid error message just "Error printing" in every Application. Has anyone encountered this?

5 REPLIES 5

tycollins
New Contributor

To add some more details in my testing, If I use the kdestroy command on my account when logged in I can print. But only if I turn off mobile accounts, with mobile accounts nothing I do allows me to print.

rmckellar
New Contributor III

@tycollins I know that Windows is pushing out an update to fix a glitch with the Windows Print Spooling service, which may affect your issue. For us, the prints went through Papercut, to the printer, but would print just an error page. After re-installing the printer, things seemed to go through just fine.
I'm not sure if this info helps you or not, just throwing in my 1/50th of a dollar, ;)

mikeindabush
New Contributor II

@tycollins We have into this issue at our site using network printers attached to a Windows Print Server. I was able to deploy a script that runs kdestroy on all accounts on login for machines running Big Sur and printing works fine after the user re-authenticates. We have a support case open with Apple Enterprise Support about this issue now and I am still waiting for them to give us further details.

mconners
Valued Contributor

@mikeindabush or @tycollins what command are you using to get past this?  We are seeing this too and I even installed the latest hp printer drivers from December that Apple posted on their support site without this working.  I see you mentioned kdestroy but what is the full command you were sending?

mikeindabush
New Contributor II

Hi @mconners! I'm just passing a generic kdestroy -A to the devices on login and I have the policy set to cache on device so it runs regardless if they device has a network connection or not.