Step by step procedure to create MAC packages using CASPER tool

MACNewbee
New Contributor

Hi All,
Greetings !!! I am newbee in this technology. Can you provide Step by step procedure to create MAC packages using CASPER tool or provide me a link if it has been already discussed.

7 REPLIES 7

Asnyder
Contributor III

If you use composer you can select new and then use the snapshot method, install your software when it's done indexing your files, and then take a second snapshot. It will compare the two indexes, add the required files, and then you can build it as a DMG or a PKG.

boberito
Valued Contributor

http://docs.jamf.com/9.99.0/composer/user-guide/Creating_Package_Sources.html

MAC = media access control
MAC = make up company
Mac = operating system made by Apple

Just a pet peeve for a lot of people :)

seann
Contributor

@boberito Lol.

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading, searching, and perhaps the CCA/CCT courses offered by Jamf.

cddwyer
Contributor

You should definitely do a CCT and/or CCA. If you are struggling with that level of use, you will struggle even more when it comes to actually deploying it.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

It is hard to give a step by step on this one as I use different techniques for different software.

For Instance I would not recommend repackaging Microsoft Office. The vendor packages do specific tasks that do not get done on a repackage. Some installers you have to snapshot (very rare). Others have an enterprise deployment tool you need to work with to build your package.

Please list a sampling of what you need to "package up." That will help us to advise better. I also second the recommendation for CCT training. Being told "you are going to support Macs now" is tough without a bit of a boot camp.

VT-Vincent
New Contributor III

As the others here have mentioned, packaging is a pretty in-depth topic that touches on a lot of other aspects of the OS. The link above to the Admin guide is a good place to start and get info about using Composer, but you might also want to check out a session from last year at the PSU MacAdmins conference, Greg provided a great intro to this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxjxi9Eny8&index=27&list=PLRUboZUQxbyVxaO7dy2t3FARsL8liPlGR

MACNewbee
New Contributor

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Its very helpful.