SUS server workng with Caching server

hunter990
Contributor

Let me preface this as I realize that these are separate services and the pro's and con's of each. We have been looking at setting up one of the services but are more leaning towards a SUS as we need to control distribution of software OS software updates per our security group. That being said a caching server would be beneficial for us regarding non OS updates from the App Store as well as eBooks.

I am planning on testing to see if I set the software update distribution server on our clients if it will overwrite just the software updates that the SUS delivers or just all of the caching sever in general. I figure I would ask here to see if anyone had tried and what your results were. I have looked at these 2 Apple articles but they are not 100% clear on this either. About Caching Service, Content types support by caching service in OS X server

We also queried with Jamf and they also are not 100% sure either. I may be crazy for even wanting to do this but it is a thought and figured I would ask.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@hunter990 No question the docs are ambiguous on this. I'm currently running both a NetSUS and a Caching Server, and at least as of 10.12.5 the softwareupdate tool will respect the --set-catalog argument to specify where to pull OS updates from and the App Store will continue to pull app updates from a Caching Server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@hunter990 No question the docs are ambiguous on this. I'm currently running both a NetSUS and a Caching Server, and at least as of 10.12.5 the softwareupdate tool will respect the --set-catalog argument to specify where to pull OS updates from and the App Store will continue to pull app updates from a Caching Server.

hunter990
Contributor

@sdagley Thank you, that's very helpful and what I was hoping to hear. We will test it on our end but that should solve what we need to.